• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soltek SL-75DRV2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tumbler 00

Registered
Newbie here,any opinions about this board,(Soltek SL-75DRV2)? Im going to do my first build, and was looking at the Epox EP-8KHA+,unfortunately also 350W Enermax psu,so i don't want to go there.Also considering a MSI-K7266PRO2, hoping for some O.C. options but need 1st build stability.

Looking at either a 1.4 t-bird or a 1600X.P.,Great forum by the way.Thanxs

Tumbler 00 said:
Newbie here,any opinions about this board,(Soltek SL-75DRV2)? Im going to do my first build, and was looking at the Epox EP-8KHA+,unfortunately also 350W Enermax psu,so i don't want to go there.Also considering a MSI-K7266PRO2, hoping for some O.C. options but need 1st build stability.

Looking at either a 1.4 t-bird or a 1600X.P.,Great forum by the way.Thanxs
First, the obligatory "welcome to the forums" ...
Second, The Soltek board is pretty new and I haven't heard of anyone actually owning one yet, but the reviews say the board is pretty solid and stable. Personally, I think you would be fine with any VIA KT266A board that has been out long enough so that BIOS's have had time to mature. Performance and stability for all the KT266A boards are all so close as to be negligible. Other than that, pick only the options you want to pay for, and then make sure to flash your BIOS with the latest version and you should be safe.

As far as processors go, spend a little more on an Athlon XP. They run a little cooler and have better performance. Last I checked, the XP1600+ was only $6 more than the T-bird 1.4.

Thanks,I think i will get the Soltek-75DRV2.I've read some complaints about the 75DRV but i think it would be the KT266 chipset opposed to KT266a in this one.Also think i will go with the XP-1600.

Whatever you do don't get a MSI KT266Pro2 mobo for your first build. It is very buggie and unless you gather all info on the issues firsthand and take care of each one, you'll end up checking yourself into an insane asylum. I hate a mobo that has to have this card in this slot on this given day. I ended up with enough ram to put 512MB in 5 machines and 2 PSU. BTW, 350watts is more than enough. I dropped in a 431watt enermax and noticed not one difference in performance or stability if I OC to 138 (yeah you saw right - 138). I'm looking at 4 mobos right now as the replacement and I haven't settled on anything yet.

Tom's finally did a full KT266A roundup (including the Soltek- which they loved), as well as a couple NForce boards- the test results are here: http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q4/011126/index.html
Asus is probably still going to get my money though- they've always been rock solid boards for me, even if they do miss being #1 in a few benchmarks by .0001 of 1%. With the exception of the Shuttle board perhaps (which is still a great value), all of the KT266A boards are so close in performance that it's hard to say what each individual's results will be- in the real world they seem to vary at least as much as the test differences just from board to board, and depending upon how you hold your facial expression during the benchmark, and especially the phase of the moon...

Happy trails.. :cool:

where's a good place to get the soltek--they seem popular in canada, but what about the states?

Apparently it's a little early yet - Pricewatch.com is still coming up a blank for that board, and usually if something is even on it's way to the shelves, someone will have it listed. Try checking there periodically- it should show up soon....

I read that THG article earlier and that soltek looks pretty sexy, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Are Soltek boards generally cheap or more expensive? Also, any hints on where to get it would be appreciated.

I'm looking at getting my Soltek at www.ncix.com,this is first time i've bought from there so I don't know how good they are.There selling the 75DRV2,for $118.00 US,might want too check out Soltek web site first www.Soltek.com.tw .

Looking at Solteks website am I to assume this boards made in Taiwan,if so that could be good.Seeing how almost everythings made in China these days,and some of it has given me problems.Reading threads at ncix some peolple had trouble with the 75DRV which is the KT266 chipset,and Solteks customer service wasn't very good.But what company is backing there product these days.

Anybody have any experience with this red storm overclocking add on ?they say its older technology from older boards.

Back