• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound issues with Asus A7N8X-E DX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I'm having weird intermittent sound issues with this board on a system I'm planning on selling. When I start the system from a cold boot, the drivers load fine. When I re-boot the system after it's already running, the audio drivers won't load.

I've used the nForce 4.75 drivers, the 5.1 drivers, and the 4.62 nVidia audio drivers. I've had the same problem with each driver revision.

Has anybody else had this problem? If so, how did you go about fixing it.

The system is running Windows 2000, fully updated with all patches and service packs installed.

There are no other problems with the system. No hardware conflicts or other nasty happenings.

I'm about ready to format the damn system and just re-do the whole shebang.

Any thoughts?

I've had this problem before on two computers, I ended up uninstalling the drivers and all traces of them, and then installing the latest fresh driver.

Your milage may vary.

Oh , and it's pretty stupid, but I had another issue just like this with a new video card, turned out to be my antivirus.. no clue why/how, but that was it.

Ok, I'll nuke the AV that I have installed and see if that works.

I just did a complete system format and it's doing it again! It's driving me bananas!

Edit: No joy there. It has to be something I've installed during the initial setup.

Last edited:
I WIN!!

Did some Googling, and came across a website that stated that the southbridges on these boards are not all created equal. Some of them (the MCP variety, in particular) do not in fact use the Soundstorm audio drivers available in the nForce UDP, but rather they use the AC'97 drivers from RealTek.

Installed those, and it works great.

Thanks for all the help guys!

/me unsubscribes

Geez I'm out of ideas!

Check the chipsets, north/south bridges?

Edit: Nevermind you got it, do I still get a cookie ?

Voodoo Rufus said:
Excellent, Oni. I'm almost ashamed I didn't think of that. You said dx or Deluxe version above, so I assumed SS.

Actually, the box the board came in advertises it as Soundstorm audio, which is where I was getting hung up. But while the box says yes, the southbridge clearly says no.

Treker, yes, you still get a cookie, but there may be a problem.

kittencookie.jpg

Back