• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i do this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slaytalera

is it possible to hook my desktop PC up to my laptop with wireless with a ethernet cable and use the internet on my desktop?

yea, thats what i thought when i came up with the idea, just wanted to make sure it would work lol

Yes. Either you could use ICS, or do what I do, which is bridge the wired and wireless adapters. Makes sure you make the IP address of your wireless router as the default gateway and primary DNS server, on your desktop. And you'll also have to use a crossover network cable to connect your laptop and desktop.

thanks, whats a crossover network cable? i cant just connect them via a regular network cable?

daunsociable said:
thanks, whats a crossover network cable? i cant just connect them via a regular network cable?

Nope, problem with that is that a cross over cable allows for full duplex, data to be sent both ways while a standard network only allows one way transfers...a router though takes care of that as it makes the changes so you can use a patch cable.

If you have a wireless adapter for your desktop you can connect the two without wires, just setup adhoc mode vs infrastructure when configuring your wireless network.

Shelnutt2 said:
Nope, problem with that is that a cross over cable allows for full duplex, data to be sent both ways while a standard network only allows one way transfers...a router though takes care of that as it makes the changes so you can use a patch cable.

Actually, a crossover cable switches the transmit and receive pairs on one end, so you can connect two devices of the same type together (switch-switch, nic-nic). If one or both of the interfaces are gigabit capable, you should be alright as auto MDI/MDX is part of the gigabit standard. Alot of fast ethernet nics and switches are capable of auto-sensing MDI/MDX as well.

Neur0mancer said:
If you have a wireless adapter for your desktop you can connect the two without wires, just setup adhoc mode vs infrastructure when configuring your wireless network.

Then he might aswell just connect directly to his wireless router, on his desktop :p

And yes a crossover only switches the transmit and receive wires. If you don't have access to the materials to make your own cables, they sell crossover cables at just about all computer hardware stores, and are labeled "Crossover". I'd recommend buying them online, if shipping doesn't cost much for you; the store will charge you $20 for the same length of cable that newegg sells for $2.

the thing is my wireless is connected to my moms comp on the other side of the house, so i cant run a cable from there to here, and my laptop is an apple, so i cant play games online with it, so instead of dishing 50 bucks for a wireless adapter for my desktop or buying a DSL modom(which i will probably wind up doin in the future. can afford one now) just spend a couple bucks on a cable and route it threw the laptop:beer:

daunsociable said:
the thing is my wireless is connected to my moms comp on the other side of the house, so i cant run a cable from there to here, and my laptop is an apple, so i cant play games online with it, so instead of dishing 50 bucks for a wireless adapter for my desktop or buying a DSL modom(which i will probably wind up doin in the future. can afford one now) just spend a couple bucks on a cable and route it threw the laptop:beer:

Would have saved a lot of questions if this info was posted up front,,,,,in more detail, than the original post,,,,,,,,

sorry, i didnt know you needed that info, i thought it was clear enough:bang head *puts on n00b hat and sits in corner*

Okay yah I didnt understand either.

Crossover cable from desktop to apple then post in Alternative OS to see I was actually thinking backwards.. most people that have wireless laptops are trying to connect through a wired desktop LOL

So yah what was posted above Crossover cable and then bridge the adapters (might need to post in Alternative OS forums for doing it on OSX)

daunsociable said:
....or buying a DSL modom(which i will probably wind up doin in the future....

Having two DSL modems will not work, unless you have 2 separate DSL accounts on 2 different telephones numbers. You can only have one DSL connection per telephone line.

Hurk said:
Having two DSL modems will not work, unless you have 2 separate DSL accounts on 2 different telephones numbers. You can only have one DSL connection per telephone line.

ok thanks for the info:santa:

Back