• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 0 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Depends on what RAID controller you have. If your RAID controller requires a master and slave HDD then it usually takes longer. However, with the A8N-SLI, it should be quicker. What defrag program are you using?

also i have some weird test results i think. these are the drives i am running
1.western digital 120gb sata ll-wd1200js-00ncb1
1.seagate 120gb sata ll--st3120813as
these 2 are raid 0 on primary and secondary channel both masters
1. western digital 250gb 16mb cache-wd2500ks-00mjbo
This drive is on primary channel.
here is HDtach results for RAID 0 setup
This setup something has changed, burst speed used to be upwards of 250, now look at it, everything else is the same as it was just burst speed has dropped significantly.
somethingiswrongar0.jpg

Now here is the single 250gb drive, burst speed has changed on it very significantly, used to have a burst speed of what the raid setup is now getting but look at it now
isthisrightzr0.jpg
]

I dont know what is wrong here. the raid setup used to get 250 for the burst speed but now is getting 131mb/s and the single drive used to get 130 burst speed but is now getting 1602mb/s I am using perfect disk 8 for defrag purposes and the onboard nvidia raid

As you can clearly see by the last graph, burst speed can be very inconsistant with HDTach and is really an inconsequential benchmark. Your random access and STR's look good so I wouldn' worry a bit. Though you have NVidia, I have found OC'ing on my VIA chipset mobo to affect burst speed in good and bad ways, any recent changes in the BIOS concerning this could be a reason for the change.

only thing that i have done is set my rig back to everything being stock and updating to newest bios. other than that nothing has changed as far as the drives in bios

only thing that i have done is set my rig back to everything being stock and updating to newest bios.
I figured. Again nothing to worry about. If you saw a signifigant increase in access time or decrease in STR, then I'd look at an OC that was putting a system bus way out of spec for the drives to perform properly.

well it was like that when i updated the bios even when i was overclocked, but my biggest question is should it take longer for the raid setup to defrag than the single drive? It takes the raid drive alot longer than the single drive, I dont know if its because its defragging 2 drives or what?

but my biggest question is should it take longer for the raid setup to defrag than the single drive?
I haven't found that to be the case with three different systems I've had single drives and RAID0 on. Since you only have half the data to defrag and both are getting defragged at the same time, I couldn't see how unless the controller affects this as mentioned above.

could i have something setup wrong or something? I mean i have the 2 raid drives on the first 2 sata ports and the 3rd drive on the 3rd sata port? But thanks for your help, i would like to hear some insight from other people if defragging there raid setup takes longer or not!

Due to the way that hard drive disk space is allocated, synthetic performance can degrade over time because more and more of the platter is used, meaning that more and more data is stored near the center, and thus cannot be read as fast. This is from a faq at [H] that I just read today.

Back