• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bose Companion 5 multimedia speaker setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larry Quinn

Maybe I'm getting stupid...but could someone explain how this speaker system uses USB to connect to your computer??

What about my Audigy soundcard???

Has anyone tried these speakers...supposed to deliver 5.1 sound with only 2 speakers and a sub.

How about listening to louder music??

I'm trying to clear off a little room on my desk...right now I have a Klipsh 4.1 setup...sounds pretty good...but the speakers on the desk are kinda large, and the 2 rear speakers on stands behind me keep getting knocked over.

Thanks

Larry

Are you determined to use Bose?
Have you bought them yet or are they free?

Pricewise there are MUCH better setups out.

Last I checked you cant get 5.1 out of 3 speakers unless they wrap around you or something, maybe they simulate?

Could you mount the current speakers on the wall?

Yeah..I kinda wondered how they were going to pull off surround with 2 speakers and a sub...

I've been reading a bit more about these BOSE speakers...and I think I'm going to just go ahead and buy a pair of Sheinneiser (SP??) HD-595 headphones and be done with it.

No reason to even bother with speakers for the most part.....

I think I'll get much more enjoyment out of headphones...Thanks for the reply!!

Larry

I agree with adragontatoo that there are much better options for the money than bose. As for surround sound from 2 speakers I have a little box I picked up for $100 about 5-6 years ago from sennheiser that allows you to listen to 5.1 dolby dts using 2 speakers or headphones.

Sennheiser does make some very good headphones you should enjoy those. :bday:

Mount your current speakers to the wall. test out some headphones, I looked at a lot of their line up and decided the e350's were the best of their range to my ears

You will be very happy with that choice. Sennheiser makes incredible headphones. The fact that you avoided BOSE is another plus for you. Good speakers and saving desk space don't really go together so headphones are a perfect option for you. Check out www.head-fi.org for even better advice.

I just recently purchased my Bose Companion 5 system because my Spherex 5.1 was taking a lot of room in my dorm and I barely have any room to study. So right now I'm at home and let me tell you, the sound quality on these Companion 5 are the best I have ever heard. I connected all my three speakers and set it up correctly.

I have my Bose Companion 5 connected to the USB port. Spherex 5.1 connected to the Coax 5.1 port. Logitech Z-5500 connected to my Optical 5.1 port.

Tested different kinds of music and by far, as far as music quality goes, you will get a much clearer and better sound on the Bose Companion 5.

So then I tested out the Gaming part. I got a better sound with my Spherex 5.1 followed by the Z-5500 then the Bose Companion 5. The reason being is the bass response on the Spherex is much better the sound with its Mirage Speakers Omnipolar technology is just great.

Now for movies, I got a much clearer sound quality with the Bose C5 system but the volume is just not loud enough. However, the Spherex 5.1, I turned the volume to the max over a ten minute period of the movie and they just shook my entire room. The Logitech Z-5500 did the same thing.

So I guess if you want loud speakers, go with the Spherex 5.1 or the Logitech Z-5500. There Spherex is overall better than the Logitech but good luck finding one as they are now discontinued. Search for Mirage speakers and you will find that these speakers are built by Mirage and with the same technology used.

If you want a clear sound and listen to a lot of music, Bose C5 or even the C3 system is the best speaker you are going to be able to get as far as PC speakers goes. They did pretty well on the surround sound part. On some parts, I could hear things coming from behind me but it was coming from the C5 speakers in front of me. :D

Back