• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 results with Medieval II anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squads

This is one of the few games I cannot play maxed out at 1680x1050 on my x1900xt. Has anyone played the demo or full game with an 8800 card? I generally fall in the 20-40 fps range when I have almost everything (not shadows or unit detail) maxed out and a full out battle going on. I would like to see how an 8800 card would fare. When I max everything I get drops as far as 9-10 fps.

I would like to know as well as I love the Total War series and I will be in possession of a 8800GTS in less then a week. I'm holding off on getting MTW 2 until a good patch comes out as those games tend to have many kinks at first.

can you test it out on the demo when you get the new card? The eVGA version of the GTS is down to $430 after rebate on newegg so I'm eyeing that one up. I might wait a bit so that the updated (8900?) version comes out within the step up period.

corex264 said:
it runs very well on 8800s

that dosn't help much, we need more information. How well in fps? and what settings and resolution? It pritty obvious it will run very well on an 8800 as ANYTHING dose, we just want to know how it compares to an x1900xt

First Impression:

Settings - 4AA/16AF, High Quality in Nvidia CP, 1600X1200 resolution.
- Everything HIGHEST in game except shadows which I turned off.
- Unit Size was set to Large.
- Custom battle with about 3000 men.

The frame rates never dropped below 20, being around 40 for the majority of the time. Overall it was a very smooth experience, and this is coming from a guy who won't play a FPS if the frames dip below 60. Consequently, RTS do not require very high frame rates to be smooth. Like I said, for the most part it was around 40 and above, only when I zoomed to the battle did it dip into the 20s. Moreover, once some units started to rout or get killed off the frame rates started to climb very quickly. Therefore, it was only the first minute or so that you hit your lowest frame rates.
In the campaign map the frame rates were between 40-50 so that was not an issue at all. I just got the game and I'm still in the process of testing it, but so far it looks and plays great. The 8800GTS plays Medieval 2 better than the 7900GT played Rome Total War, with roughly the same ingame settings, and Medieval is a lot more demanding of a game.

Last edited:
Back