• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best CPU for value ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chubchubcullen

So yeah, I want to upgrade from my AXP system and I wanted to keep my VALUE ram..see sig. What would be the best skt939 cpu to buy to get an decent overclock? I guess I'd need something with a high multiplier since my ram wont go very high. I really want to go dual-core but I can't find deals on skt939 x2's anymore.. only opterons. And for the board, i think im gonna get teh evga nf4 sli x16 board.

Warren G said:
opterons are beasts at overclocking on air and at low voltages.

yeah, i was thinking about the 165 but the 9x multi is gonna kill me with my value ram. i havent oc'd my ram.. im thinking it might go up to 220fsb if im lucky? should i just grab a cheap sandy/fx? or find a deal on a 175?

Unlike AthlonXP you can run memory at any divider without perfomance loss (other than from running it at lower clock).

Opteron 170 seems to be the good cookie for overcloking. Or 165 if you want cheaper.

Alseyn said:
Unlike AthlonXP you can run memory at any divider without perfomance loss (other than from running it at lower clock).
Ya, and on some boards you can also adjust the timings and boost the voltage. times have changed since the old xp's, and in my opinion for the worse.

freakdiablo...I don't have any experience with the xp's...how were (are) the xp's different from today's boards? I would have thought that being able to adjust settings in the current boards over not (?) being able to in the xp's would be an advantage?

stevejr said:
freakdiablo...I don't have any experience with the xp's...how were (are) the xp's different from today's boards? I would have thought that being able to adjust settings in the current boards over not (?) being able to in the xp's would be an advantage?
Yes, it is a major advantage, so I'm not sure why freakdiable dislikes it. Memory speed by itself is pretty insignificant for most real-world applications, which means that overclocked A64 systems give great performance even with value RAM on a divider. I second the suggestion of an Opteron 170 (that's what I'm getting for Xmas hopefully). I decided that the 9x multi on the 165 was just too low considering that my mobo doesn't like high HTT.

Didn't the XPs have unlocked multis? That would've been nice.

If you are on a budget and want a good overclocker I'd find an opty 170 new or used with a good stepping. $150-175 for the extra L2 cash and with a good stepping you should see 2800 easily.

Back