• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOT! Sceptre 42" 1080p lcd at Costco.com 1299+Tax shipped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You da man D, and the nice thing about buying from Costco is that you can return the item if it has a problem during the warranty period, that is not a scam that is thier policy. so its like getting a replacement warranty for free.

The only bad thing about that unit is the external tuner / connection box. That in itself is odd in today's marketplace, but if you read the reviews at newegg, it sounds like it isn't JUST a tuner box, but all of your source devices like dvd and whatnot have to connect to the box, and then the box to the TV. I think I will just hold off a few months for one that is all self contained. That is the good thing about LCD tvs right now...the pricing is still in free fall mode. I would fully expect to see $600 42" LCD units by this time next year.

Aktunka said:
The only bad thing about that unit is the external tuner / connection box. That in itself is odd in today's marketplace, but if you read the reviews at newegg, it sounds like it isn't JUST a tuner box, but all of your source devices like dvd and whatnot have to connect to the box, and then the box to the TV. I think I will just hold off a few months for one that is all self contained. That is the good thing about LCD tvs right now...the pricing is still in free fall mode. I would fully expect to see $600 42" LCD units by this time next year.

if thats the case then yeah I would pass on this as well

Aktunka said:

By this time next year, who knows what new technology will be on the edge of coming out...

I feel that if you wait, you will be waiting forever.

Its been at that price for a while now. I have it myself. Its great. The media box is an ingenious idea. If you have problems you only need to send the media box back instead of the entire tv, since the display is only that, a monitor. With the separate media box the monitor itself is very thin. The only complaint that I have is that the cables from the media box to the monitor aren't very long so if you have plans on wall mounting, you have to make sure your accessory stand is close enough. Also, there are only 2 HDMI inputs, a VGA, and 1 component input for HD inputs, so a HDMI switch box is probably necessary if you have a lot of inputs. I got mine for monoprice.

Seufari said:
By this time next year, who knows what new technology will be on the edge of coming out...

I feel that if you wait, you will be waiting forever.

Remember the beauty of costco is the forever warranty. So next year when the new tv comes out you take it back and upgrade. Just say the picture quality on the tv is now bad and they take it back. I have done it with other itmes. My father in law works for costco and takes 5 year old vcrs that broke back in and got a new better with change in his pocket. Doesnt work on computers though. Tvs should be same as all other units. They will probally change the policy soon as they are gonna start taking it in the pants on tvs.

I took back a window airconditioner after 1.5 years as it stopped blowing cold. Money was returned no questions asked
Mike

this is a great deal as I recently just bought the Westinghouse 42" HD LCD 1920x1080P panel here in Canada but I am strongly considering this. I wonder if one can find in store in the Bellingham WA area.

Second is this unit built in USA,allowing NAFTA to benefit me?? If so no duty for me just the exchange and it would save me about $200 bones. Media box is excellent ,reduces cable clutter and Copstco allows returns of products to any of its stores within NA. I currently really like the West I got and once you enter the service menu and adjust RGB the pic is phenomenal with HD feed

After reading more about it I will keep what I have and look at a couple other options

Last edited:
Good price, but not a good TV.

You will be better off saving few more $$ and getting one of the newer Sharp or Samsung models which aren't much more expensive.

EvilCloudStrife said:
wish it was 1080i. good deal though. why am i on OCforums? i took the day off to study for finals.. the the heck am i thinking
why would you wish 1080i? 1080p is THE BEST hdtv option out to date.

g0dM@n said:
why would you wish 1080i? 1080p is THE BEST hdtv option out to date.
godman your knowledge of tvs never ceases to amaze me. i thought interlaced was better because it doesnt scan the whole tv like progressive. it just goes all at once. maybe i had them backwards. i might jump of this deal if thats the case, only the best for me :beer:

EvilCloudStrife said:
godman your knowledge of tvs never ceases to amaze me. i thought interlaced was better because it doesnt scan the whole tv like progressive. it just goes all at once. maybe i had them backwards. i might jump of this deal if thats the case, only the best for me :beer:
progressive is a full screen at a 60th of a sec... interlaced is half screen per 60th of a sec... filling a full screen [in your brain] in a full 30th of a sec.

Aktunka said:

The external box can actually be a blessing.

The box can go right on top of your home theater cabinet (or inside I mean) then you only have 1-2 media wiress and a power cable running to the TV.

All of the other 900 hookups (i exaagerate, I know) can be neatly hidden inside of your cabinet.

I am too lazy to cut holes in the wall to hide the wires to the TV.. so external works for me :)

RedDragonXXX said:
Good price, but not a good TV.

You will be better off saving few more $$ and getting one of the newer Sharp or Samsung models which aren't much more expensive.
Can you elaborate please?

Gautam said:
Can you elaborate please?
In all honesty, if you wanna buy a TV, it may be risky spending $1000+ on something you don't see until it's shipped to you... if you open and don't like it, you're out a good chunk of change on shipping and possible restocking fee.

If you know for sure the TV is a nice one, then go for it.

Since this is at costco... you've NO REASON to not go check it out if you're interested in a new TV, especially b/c this is 1080p... you won't have to upgrade your TV for God knows how long.

The black levels aren't the greatest but that can be said of all LCD's. You're not going to get better blacks until you cop up over $2k for a high end lcd. Like Godman said, just buy it and try it out. If you don't like it return it to a local costco and get all of your money back including shipping.

Its great as a computer monitor too if you have a wireless keyboard/mouse. It comes with many extra cables, including a dvi to hdmi, its a little short so you're tower will need to be by your tv, but its free so you can't really complain.

Back