• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finalizing build specs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

I have a thread in the water cooling area here. I really like the idea of this build, but i really want to do as much as I can with it. My question is: would it be better for me to go air for now, and upgrade to water later on, or visa-versa? My budget is $3000, and I do have a monitor (weak spot), keyboard and mouse.

I could either go the route in my water cooling thread, or go air cooled with this case and this board and get a second 980 and a 4k monitor (or 3 1080p monitors).

I'm against the wall. I really love the 900D, and I really wanted to water cool for silence and looks, but 4k would be so awesome. I've decided that I'll probably go with the ASRock board either way, since I don't think I'll be doing the black and yellow theme any more. Either way, I will have to upgrade probably tax time next year to get both 4k and water cooled.

So, go for raw power now, and leave looks and silence for next year? Or, go with the still worthy water build, and upgrade to 4k next year? So on the fence...

Edit: I meant to add the specs for both builds, and completely forgot, lol. Here they are:

Air Build:

Intel Core i7 4790k: $349.99

Samsung 850 Pro: $279.99
Maybe the 840 Pro, going to look for the best deal when I buy.

EVGA 980 ACX 2.0: $549.99x2=$1099.98

Kingston HyperX Beast: $204.99
Not really set on these, going to shop for the best deal when I pull the trigger.

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2: $129.99

Windows 8.1: $139.99
Might go with 7, if it's cheaper, since it seems that the free Windows 10 upgrade still applies to Windows 7. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm: $69.99
Just a 1TB storage drive, either Seagate or WD.

Corsair 750D: $159.99

ASRock Extreme6 AC: $189.79

Samsung UD590: $799.99

Total price before discounts and shipping: $3444.90
As listed in my Newegg Wishlist: $2980.69

The watercooling build will use the same parts, minus the case, one 980, and monitor: -$1529.97
Starting price: $1914.93

Corsair Obsidian Series 900D: $359.99

NoiseBlocker eLoop 120 x4: $107.80

EK-FC980 GTX Water block plus Backplate: $151.98

Swiftech APOGEE XL Custom: $74.95+
May go with the EK Supremacy EVO instead. This was picked for the black and yellow theme.

This Reservoir with this pump: $179.98
Not set on these so much any more. Open to recommendations.

Alphacool NexXxos UT60: $134.99

gaskets: $4

Primoflex UV yellow tubing: $24.99

3 of these and 5 of these fittings: $78.92

and a Silver kill coil: $5.99

Plus some distilled water from the local store: $?

Total cost before discounts, shipping etc.: $3038.52
As currently listed: $2760.36

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but I did some more research after the first one, and may have something going here. I just need to whittle down the price a little further. Here it is:

Corsair 750D: $159.99

ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 AC: $189.79

2x EVGA 980 ACX 2.0: $1099.98

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2: $129.99

i5 4690K: $249.99

HyperX Beasts: $204.99

Samsung 850 Pro: $279.99

Storage Drive: $69.99

Windows 8.1: $99.99

5x SP120s: $91.97

2x this GPU block and this backplate: $311.96

Silver kill coil: $6.99

Primochill tubing: $24.99

This 360 and this 240 radiators with gaskets: $156.48

EK Supremacy EVO: $79.99

This reservoir and pump: $129.90

17 of These clamps: $84.83
Please, could someone tell me how many I'm going to need? I may have over estimated.

2 angled barbs: $12.98

15 strait barbs: $44.85

Drain valve: $9.99

Total before discounts, etc.: $3439.63

Wishlist price: 3219.63

Very close, but I think I've hit the bottom without skimping on quality, and I had to compromise on the i7. What do you guys think?

Hmm, I think you'd really be sorry to compromise on the i7. Maybe not now, but perhaps down the road. You can drop the ram down considerably without sacrificing any gaming or work performance in most scenarios.

I'd also wait for the r9 300x's to come out first before dropping that amount of cash. The 390x leaked specs look absolutely insane. Cost would be indicative of the route you should go then. Release should be in the next couple weeks.

The memory is one area that I won't be making a solid decision on until I get the cash. I did find some 1866 furies for $122.99. But with all the sales on memory lately, I can't choose for sure yet.

Whether or not I wait for the 390x depends on when I get my tax refund. I've been without a decent computer since July, and I'm not waiting any longer than I have to to get one.

I feel the same about the i7. I would be so angry if I spent $3k on this system to have to turn around and spend another $350 to make it do what I want later on.

The memory is one area that I won't be making a solid decision on until I get the cash. I did find some 1866 furies for $122.99. But with all the sales on memory lately, I can't choose for sure yet.

Whether or not I wait for the 390x depends on when I get my tax refund. I've been without a decent computer since July, and I'm not waiting any longer than I have to to get one.

I feel the same about the i7. I would be so angry if I spent $3k on this system to have to turn around and spend another $350 to make it do what I want later on.

I definitely know that feeling, the 300 series is supposed to be released in a few weeks though. Would suck to buy a 980 and have the 380x be the same cost...

Meh, I could deal. My last card was a 550Ti, and it looked amazing to me, coming from an HD5550 and an intel mobile 945g before that. 2 of these monsters on a 4k monitor will just make me giggle uncontrollably for a long time, be them 390x or 980.

Oh yeah, stay away from seagate drives for a while. Massive failure rates on them, not so much the 1tb, but its still well above industry average.

Well the 380x is most likely going to be more powerful than the 980. Given AMD's nature, I can see it being in the 400-500 range, under cutting the 980 by a fairly large margin AND get you better performance. Just food for thought here.

Yea, I'll have to see if my refund comes back before or after the release. I just can't wait any more. I can hardly play facebook games on this C2D, 3GB busted @$$ thing I'm typing on right now. I feel sorry for my mouse, because it's hooked up to it, and I haven't touched my mech since July. I'm gonna have to learn how to type again.

Yea, I'll have to see if my refund comes back before or after the release. I just can't wait any more. I can hardly play facebook games on this C2D, 3GB busted @$$ thing I'm typing on right now. I feel sorry for my mouse, because it's hooked up to it, and I haven't touched my mech since July. I'm gonna have to learn how to type again.

No you won't. Typing is like riding a bike. I've been away from it for like four months and come back and been right where I left off. You're rusty for the first 1000 keystrokes or so and then you're right back humming along like always.

Drop the optical drive, go bigger on the cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5709011&cm_re=phanteks-_-35-709-011-_-Product

Wont get better than that without stepping into AIO's that are double the cost that don't offer significant gains.

Get a WD drive for now, seagates have gotten horrendous reliability ratings over last year. I wouldn't buy one no matter how cheap it is. (yes i am aware the 1tb isn't on there, however, there is an OBVIOUS trend going on with seagate)
backblaze-annual-hdd-failure-rate-100226259-orig.jpg

Also, may want to reconsider that SSD

seq_read.gif
rand_write.gif

better options ->
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148820&cm_re=mx100-_-20-148-820-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372&cm_re=850-_-20-147-372-_-Product

I would also consider nabbing a couple "right now" fans to add to the case as well. Its astounding what a single fan up top will do for passive cooling systems.

The optical drive is a must, I have some old games on disc that I am not going to buy again. USB so I don't have to have it taking up bay space.

As far as the cooler, won't that interfere with my ram slots? I intend to go water cooled as soon as I get the funds, so I figure the 212 will do fine until then.

I've seen you post the same thing about Seagate drives in other threads, but my experiences with them are quite the opposite. However, my experiences with WD drives are the same, I haven't had either brand fail on me in any of the 20+ builds and rebuilds I've done in the last 4 years (I build/fix/upgrade/etc. buddies' and their friends' builds), and those are all I use. I am going to look around a little though.

I just realized that the 850 Evo is on sale, grabbing that instead of the Chronos.

Edit: Going with a WD blue, $5 more, but 2 year warrenty vs 1.

Edit2: Didn't see the bit about the fans. I have a couple of "right now" fans sitting in the cupboard. I'll be replacing them with eLoops when I go water.

Last edited:
Got about $75 headroom guys, anything I'm missing?

Edit: Ordered! Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:
Ah, I remember you discussing the dvd drive before. Right-o.

On seagate, I have had the same "luck" you have with em. Ive never had ANY hard drive fail on me (I have quite a few that are older as well, gonna be replacing them soon just to condense space), but those charts kinda scare me lol.

Hope you got the cooler, it'll work fine with that ram.

I went with the 212. I can wait until next year to hit the big clocks, and the 4790k isn't a bottleneck anywhere clocked stock. I couldn't see spending the extra money when I can save $40 and add it to my desk budget. Plus, I went with upgraded shipping and joined premier so that I could get most of the parts early next week.

I managed to save $60 out of my budget, which is pretty awesome considering that I almost always go over budget. Now I have $300 to spend on redoing my desk.

Anyway, I'm really excited about this build. I can't wait to start getting parts.

May the no-DOA gods be with you, Dlaw.

Thank you, I have my fingers, toes, eyes, ears, tongue and wires crossed. The only thing I'm really worried about is the Extreme6, because the non AC version just came back into stock after like 3 weeks, and there's a lot of DOA reviews on the 'egg from before then. I'm thinking Newegg probably figured they had a bad batch of boards, and returned them to ASRock for replacement. Still a little worried, but not enough to doubt my decision.

That and maybe the refurb'd monitor, but I just couldn't pass up that deal.

Thank you, I have my fingers, toes, eyes, ears, tongue and wires crossed. The only thing I'm really worried about is the Extreme6, because the non AC version just came back into stock after like 3 weeks, and there's a lot of DOA reviews on the 'egg from before then. I'm thinking Newegg probably figured they had a bad batch of boards, and returned them to ASRock for replacement. Still a little worried, but not enough to doubt my decision.

That and maybe the refurb'd monitor, but I just couldn't pass up that deal.

You got a refurb'd monitor? That's one of the things you do not want to buy refurb. Monitors and hard drives. Just say no.

Back