• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA and AMD in trouble for price fixing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't you think our government has more pressing issues then to worry about a graphic chip manufacture? O wait, there might be some steroid use in sports. Quick call the calvary.

Rattle said:
yeah and no R+D and no more revolutionary cards like x1900xtx and 8800gtx
Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but could you please explain what's so revolutionary about the 8800? Sure its DX10; DX10 is essentially a very, very optimized version of DX9. Sure it's got more transistors than an Itanium; if you've got the $$$, you can build a die as large as you want. Sure its a huge leap past the 7xxx's; the 7900s were also a huge leap past the 6xxx's.

LoneWolf121188 said:
Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but could you please explain what's so revolutionary about the 8800? Sure its DX10; DX10 is essentially a very, very optimized version of DX9. Sure it's got more transistors than an Itanium; if you've got the $$$, you can build a die as large as you want. Sure its a huge leap past the 7xxx's; the 7900s were also a huge leap past the 6xxx's.

I'd guess he meant it's revolutionary in the sense that it's a MAJOR overhaul in GPU architecture from the last 10-15 years?

lol they just went bigger, thats not a major overhaul

rd600 could be called a major overhaul sort of.

but seriously, lol, we all know they do it, but then again...

jivetrky said:
It's not just a bigger G71....they changed around the whole process. But whatever...this isn't what the thread is about :)

Thank you... someone... for remembering what this thread is about before we descend into the usual Nvidia/ATI indiodicy.

Like to remind you that BOTH companies, no matter how great you think the company you like is, are under investigation by the justice department for price fixing.

So let's talk about THAT shall we?

And while we're at it... somebody care to read the article and comment on the specifics?

I read the article. There are a few things that are interesting about this...

1. These companies are not getting brought up on charges of price fixing because they were so obviously fixing prices and trumping up specs for thier overpriced cards. The executives got caught conspiring through meetings and correspondance all the way back to 1990 possibly? White collar crime is extremely hard and expensive to prosecute but ever since the whole Enron thing, the US has been cracking down much harder on these scumbags. (It's parasites like these guys that effect the entire economy, they raise prices not just for thier product, but everything across the board that uses thier products.)

2. The usual idiot in the comments under the article says "Once again, coporate America taking advantage of people. Rise up sheeples!!" I wonder if this Moron realized that ATI was a Canadian company at the time? ...or that the entire US economy and way of life depends on corporate America, LOL. Most of these anti-gov/anti-US people show how stupid they are on a daily basis. I better give that sheep some hay.

3. I really hope prices will go down. But I dont see that happening any time soon. These court cases take forever and even if they were found guilty, the most that usually happens is price drops 10% or in most cases not at all. The companies will claim that the current prices they charge are what they need to conduct daily operations. Best case scenario is the execs do jailtime and they get thier pensions taken away.

4. I am wondering who blew the whistle on these guys? Stuff like this just doesnt happen without someone handing the justice department a case? Most people don't realize just how expensive it is to research a case and then take it to trial is a whole different thing! With a blue collar crime, you can see the window is broken and the bank alarm is going off. With a software company, how do know a crime has been committed, especially if you dont work there, especially if everyone at the company is conspiring to hide information from you.

5. Mr.T, what would you want the goverment to do, let these people get away with price fixing? Something that raises inflation which means prices for things you pay for? (You should know better that the whole steroid thing in sports is politicians showboating to seem like they are doing something important thats in the public eye...making it seem like they are cracking down on something.)

6. I wonder if Intel is going to get into the GPU business now? A few people on that article were talking about it. If so, what would be the effects on the GPU industry you guys think? I think it's strange that AMD took ATI over. I dont think the investigation will hurt AMD or NVIDIA much so its not like these companies are getting shut down and Intel is filling in the gap...

TommyHolly said:
I read the article. There are a few things that are interesting about this...

1. These companies are not getting brought up on charges of price fixing because they were so obviously fixing prices and trumping up specs for thier overpriced cards. The executives got caught conspiring through meetings and correspondance all the way back to 1990 possibly? White collar crime is extremely hard and expensive to prosecute but ever since the whole Enron thing, the US has been cracking down much harder on these scumbags. (It's parasites like these guys that effect the entire economy, they raise prices not just for thier product, but everything across the board that uses thier products.)

2. The usual idiot in the comments under the article says "Once again, coporate America taking advantage of people. Rise up sheeples!!" I wonder if this Moron realized that ATI was a Canadian company at the time? ...or that the entire US economy and way of life depends on corporate America, LOL. Most of these anti-gov/anti-US people show how stupid they are on a daily basis. I better give that sheep some hay.

3. I really hope prices will go down. But I dont see that happening any time soon. These court cases take forever and even if they were found guilty, the most that usually happens is price drops 10% or in most cases not at all. The companies will claim that the current prices they charge are what they need to conduct daily operations. Best case scenario is the execs do jailtime and they get thier pensions taken away.

4. I am wondering who blew the whistle on these guys? Stuff like this just doesnt happen without someone handing the justice department a case? Most people don't realize just how expensive it is to research a case and then take it to trial is a whole different thing! With a blue collar crime, you can see the window is broken and the bank alarm is going off. With a software company, how do know a crime has been committed, especially if you dont work there, especially if everyone at the company is conspiring to hide information from you.

5. Mr.T, what would you want the goverment to do, let these people get away with price fixing? Something that raises inflation which means prices for things you pay for? (You should know better that the whole steroid thing in sports is politicians showboating to seem like they are doing something important thats in the public eye...making it seem like they are cracking down on something.)

6. I wonder if Intel is going to get into the GPU business now? A few people on that article were talking about it. If so, what would be the effects on the GPU industry you guys think? I think it's strange that AMD took ATI over. I dont think the investigation will hurt AMD or NVIDIA much so its not like these companies are getting shut down and Intel is filling in the gap...

Thank you for your valid commentary.

As for who blew the whistle, the justice department is also looking into Samsung and other manufacturers of LCD televisions and monitors for price fixing. So I would be VERY surprised if the whistle blower wasn't the same source for both cases. Video cards and Monitors? That's just too big a coincidence...

rainless said:
So I would be VERY surprised if the whistle blower wasn't the same source for both cases. Video cards and Monitors? That's just too big a coincidence...
IDK, I'd consider TV's and GPUs to be in different markets: consumer electronics vs computer hardware. :shrug: Plus, aren't whistleblowers usually part of the company they're blowing the whistle on? What I'm implying is that if it was the same person, wouldn't they have had to been working at both companies to gain this sort of knowledge?

rainless: I wasn't trying to "descend into the usual Nvidia/ATI idiodicy", as you put it. I'm far from being an ATI fanboy; I've got two 6800GT's humming away merely in my system as we speak. :) I was just wondering where the "revolutionary" term came from, I wasn't trying to pick a fight. :)

Ooooh they are looking at other companies for price fixing...Cool. Maybe that will teach some people a lesson...I can't wait to hear about that one!

Where did you hear about the Samsung/pricefixing info?

The good thing, since the Enron guys got the book thrown at them, (and deservingly so...one even died in jail already haha), corporate accounting services have tripled by almost 300% use across the board in all fields...

TommyHolly said:
The good thing, since the Enron guys got the book thrown at them, (and deservingly so...one even died in jail already haha), corporate accounting services have tripled by almost 300% use across the board in all fields...
Ken Lay actually died while on vacation in Aspen, CO. He was convicted but the sentencing was to be held Oct 23, 2006. He died on July 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Lay

I think the jusice department has had a watchful eye out ever since this went down last year.

Samsung, the world's biggest memory maker, has agreed to pay $300 million and plead guilty for conspiring with others to fix prices on dynamic random access memory, or DRAM, the most common form of memory found in computers.

Hynix, another South Korean memory manufacturer, earlier pleaded guilty and paid a $185 million fine. Germany's Infineon Technologies also admitted to DRAM price fixing and paid a fine, although other defendants remain.

Samsung's fine is the second-largest criminal antitrust fine in U.S. history and the largest criminal fine since 1999.

"Price fixing threatens our free market system, stifles innovation, and robs American consumers of the benefit of competitive prices," said Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales. "Today's guilty plea is evidence of the department's ongoing commitment to protect consumers from corporations that engage in illegal conduct."

The one-count felony charge filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court in San Francisco stated that Samsung and its chip subsidiary, Samsung Semiconductor, conspired with others to fix prices for DRAM for servers and PCs from April 1, 1999 to June 15, 2002.

Ugh on vacation? That *******... That ruins everything... at least he had the uncomfortable shadow of knowing he was gonna get his butt handed to him before he died.

I would not doubt that one bit. I have always had a thought that Pepsi and Coke are just actually one HUGE company...and the competition just helps sales.

TommyHolly said:

Intel has been in the GPU business for quite some time, just under the enthusiast radar. Intel's Integrated Graphics chips are run on more computers than all GPU competitors combined. Think of all the business workstations and low-end machines which use Intel graphics.

Not that you'd want to run anything other than MS Word on these GPUs... :)

LoneWolf121188 said:
Ignore him. He's just a thoughtless fanboy who shouts down anyone who would suggest that his favorite corporations might be doing shady stuff.

When I reported this crap, he did nothing but troll my thread.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=489097

TommyHolly said:
The nation hardly matters, since almost all major corporations are multinational in scope anyway. That's just a fact of the global economy. But I agree that the guy is a ****ing idiot. It's rather ironic that he calls for "sheeple" (a rather offensive designation, imo) to rise up all the while that the national government and specifically the DOJ is the most potent tool that the "sheeple" can use to fight corporate excess and predation.

Last edited:
Back