• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sell my 6800GTs for a 8800GTS? Wait? Something else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I'm torn...gone are the days that I could buy any new game, crank the sliders up to max, and blow stuff up at 60+fps. While Flight Simulator X looks great, its chugging along at 15-20 fps, which is a real pain when I'm trying to practice ILS Approaches and the weather is 16025G31 OVC300 +RA (25-31 knot crosswind, overcast at 300ft, heavy rain :D ). I've been thinking about selling my 6800GTs and getting a 8800GTS, but I don't know if that's financially feasable. I want to spend $170 as an ABSOLUTE MAX, preferably more in the $130 range. Here's how I look at it:

Pro-8800GTS
  • Its a HGUE leap over my current setup.
  • Its much easier to spend $150 now than $400 later.
  • Possible upgrade path with SLI in the future.
  • Its DX10 capable.
  • Prices will only drop further on the 6800GTs

Con-8800GTS
  • Is it truely 100% DX10 compliant? Should I wait for the 2nd iteration of the 8xxx's?
  • Will prices drop quickly on the 8800s?
  • I don't do a ton of PC gaming anymore, its mostly just FSX and any killer app that may come out.
  • Is my CPU fast enough to keep up with the 8800's?

Anything else I missed? How much do you think I could get for my cards? Should I wait a few weeks?

Should I consider upgrading something else instead?

That is what I did. I don't think you will have a problem with your CPU. The more you max your video settings, the more work the card deals with, and the less your CPU factors in on the equation. I've got a 8800GTS and I can play Oblivion maxed out on a 1280x1024 LCD with no pauses or glitches. I was having a little problem earlier, but it looks like my Oblivion install had gotten corrupted. I reinstalled it and now it is smooth as silk.

Go for the card. I don't think you will be disappointed!

Nvidia announce some weeks ago that they will make mid range DX10 cards around April (named G84). But as they said 8800 will be their high end card for long time.

After all at 1280x1024 the 8800GTS will serve perfectly until we start moving to 2000x + resolutions :p

Vipasnipa said:
Not worth it.

Wait until there is a game that will actually benefit from a video card upgrade (Crysis).
Why do you say that? I think for 399.99 (neweggs prices on a few of the GTS's) this is a great deal. The performance is very good for the price and will work with DX10 games in the future. Also, if he can upgrade for only 150 bucks thats even better. The GTS is a HUGE leap over a 6800gt....

blitzkrieg1110 said:
Why do you say that? I think for 399.99 (neweggs prices on a few of the GTS's) this is a great deal. The performance is very good for the price and will work with DX10 games in the future. Also, if he can upgrade for only 150 bucks thats even better. The GTS is a HUGE leap over a 6800gt....

I second that, I upgraded from a 7900GT to a 8800GTS and the performance is very noticeable, especially in newer titles (F.E.A.R., Oblivion, COD2, etc.). For online FPS I don't like dropping below 60FPS even for a few seconds, and with the 8800GTS I can play at high resolutions, max. graphics, and 4AA/16AF, and still get really smooth performance.

8800 prices are falling like stones. Hold out until the price settles at a low point. Personally I'm going to wait until AMD/ATI gets their new line reviewed and compared to Nvidia's 8800 before I make a decision.

liftedcj7on44s said:
your cpu should be ok for a gts, and yes the 8800gts is 100% dx10 compliant. prices should drop after x-mas i hope

i dont think the 8800gts will drop much more in price but i can see the gtx doing so after Christmas or when the r60 comes out

||Console|| said:
I want to see the r600 before I deside

i have a feeling that the g80's and the R600 will neck to neck in performance but the ati's gddr4 ram will just beat the g80's gddr3 ram

other than that i think they will be about the same

ATi should have a pretty large memory bandwidth advantage which could help with higher detail settings at high resolutions. Other than that the theoretical numbers are pretty close so it comes down to architectural details and the only way to know how those play out is running the cards.

Back