• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WoW FPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
I was wondering if people could let me know what type FPS they are getting in WoW on a 7900GT. Please list the CPU, speeds, video card speeds and amount of ram.

Edit forgot to say and what quality settings as well.

Last edited:
specs in sig. I get anywhere from 15-60. In some really heavy combat with lots of aoe, I drop down to 15fps. Nefarian zerg would be an example of it. Sitting in IF, i get about 30fps.

--pak

pak said:
specs in sig. I get anywhere from 15-60. In some really heavy combat with lots of aoe, I drop down to 15fps. Nefarian zerg would be an example of it. Sitting in IF, i get about 30fps.

--pak

But that's about my range with my sigs rig, wtf :|

Well the thing about wow is it sux as far as hardware goes. You'll only get a 5% increases in hardware where you might gain a 50% increase in another game. Addons bog you down a lot as well. If I run with no addons at all, my FPS never drop under 50. But I need those addons. I need my eye candy aswell. My FPS jump up significantly with I turn everything down, but I keep everything set on high. The momentary drop in FPS is a small price to keep my add ons and eye candy.

--pak

You have all the shaders on, and anisotropic filtering all the way up? Can you really see the difference? I know what you mean about the mods, when 2.0 came out I didn't really play for a couple days.

Everything cranked up both in game and in my nvidia panel. There is a small difference, but it is noticeable. --pak

You also have to take into account lag vs. FPS.

Ironforge and instances you really can't tell, it's not a solid test. In fact, WoW really doesn't have a test to determine performance vs. different hardware.

Most addons just take memory. Remember, wow is a CPU/RAM intensive game above all. You don't see any crazy reflective water or physics stuff going down, it's just basic MMORPG stuff.

How does lag affect FPS? My ping can shoot up to 2k and my FPS will remain the same as it was less than 100.

--pak

Lag causing frame drops is a common issue with WoW, especially in big cities with a lot of people running around with the server lagging. Just a general thing.

Seven said:
Lag causing frame drops is a common issue with WoW, especially in big cities with a lot of people running around with the server lagging. Just a general thing.

Ill agree with the part of a lot of people. More people=FPS drop for sure. But I have never seen my ping affect my FPS and I monitor the two of them closely.

--pak

bump, the old hardass southern boy seinor member needs help tunning his rig for this game :sn:

greenmaji said:
bump, the old hardass southern boy seinor member needs help tunning his rig for this game :sn:

Should have said that to begin with. As far as "tuning" your rig for wow, just set it up for the best possible memory bandwidth as possible. WoW loves and eats every mb of memory bandwidth. I started gaming wow with a 1100mhz socket paired with a force 2 amd 512mb of ram. It wasn't till I upgraded to 939(dual channel) that I saw the single biggest performance gain. WoW just loves memory.

--pak

i cant say for sure but (back when i played) i swear i saw an improvement with a 10k RPM Raptor over a "normal" HD.

not necessarily in "FPS" but mostly when landing in IronForge or other populated places.

I did some tweaking in the setting and got up to 40FPS in Org. Right now I have 3gigs up PC3200 for WoW to eat one. Running both my x2 3800 stock and my evga 7900gt ko. Would Ocing the CPU do anything? For the video card which is better in games Ocing the core or the memory?

Wicked Klown said:
I did some tweaking in the setting and got up to 40FPS in Org. Right now I have 3gigs up PC3200 for WoW to eat one. Running both my x2 3800 stock and my evga 7900gt ko. Would Ocing the CPU do anything? For the video card which is better in games Ocing the core or the memory?

OC'n the cpu helps cuz it brings your memory bandwidth up. I haven't notice any difference in OCn my video card in memory and/or GPU.

Sitting in org and checking ur FPS is a bad test. Too many variable. How I like to test my system is by putting the most load as I can. I wanna see how low I can get my system to go. No matter whats going on, My rig won't go below 15fps. You can do this by getting a bunch of mages to AOE for you, nefarian zerg, av if you can get a lot of people in one spot.

but by all means, OC everything. Just keep high memory bandwidth in mind. More mhz won't hurt

--pak

Back