• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Length on the Silverstone ST50EF-PLUS-SC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MVC

I was looking at this short cable version of Silverstone's ST50EF for use in an HTPC, but I was wondering just HOW short are the cables? I want a minimum of cables in the box to help with airflow, but they do need to reach where they need to go. And, I can't even find a pic with the cables extended.

Has anyone used one of these, or know how much the cables have been shortened?

MVC said:
I was looking at this short cable version of Silverstone's ST50EF for use in an HTPC, but I was wondering just HOW short are the cables? I want a minimum of cables in the box to help with airflow, but they do need to reach where they need to go. And, I can't even find a pic with the cables extended.

Has anyone used one of these, or know how much the cables have been shortened?

I would be carefull. I would also buy only modular powersupplys. They REALLY help with cable management. Remember, you can run certain cables under the motherboard or under the motherboard tray. Along Rails, and other equipment.

If you dont have a way to tie down the cables, you have two options. Goto any hardware stores electronics section and you will find sticky wire anchors. Or in certain spots its nice to drill a hole in the case.

However, remember, if you drill a hole in the case, make sure you remove the motherboard, and anything else that may catch the metal shavings. Then be VERY careful to get all the little peaces of metal.

Many Modular PSU's have varied length cables too. You can do an amazing job, but it takes time, then refinement, then more time, and more refinement. The end result is worth it. I will be putting a picture up of my machine one of these up coming weeks.

Mike

GreenJelly said:
I would be carefull. I would also buy only modular powersupplys. They REALLY help with cable management. Remember, you can run certain cables under the motherboard or under the motherboard tray. Along Rails, and other equipment.

Mike
I've had a couple modular power supplies and I wasn't impressed. I ended up using all (or at least most) of the modules so all I ended up with was more potential sources of failure.

FWIW, I've shortened/lengthened the cables on several PSUs so that they fit exactly the way I wanted them to (I even wired an Iwaki pump to the main switch on a PowerStream 600 once here) so I don't mind modding; I was just trying to avoid it this time.

i just bought a modular 750watt silverstone. it has so many freaking cables. its insane. (i do only have 2 hard-drives, but still) im only using 5 cables (mobo, 4-pin cpu, 2x series of molex)

so since im using so little, you can see how much it helps me lol. but don't worry, once i get my quad core intel and my sli dx10 cards, i will be needing those pci-e cables very quickly

but in my opinion, its not hard to hide the excess, to do that i just move the cd-drive down a notch or something like that, and shove all the cables above it.

I think I use all of my cables for all of my power supplies (-1 on occassion)... but I am a guy that goes into my machine and adds things. When I need to add something, I often have to change my wire routes. It saves so much work sometimes when you can unplug the Powersupply side and re-route it there.

Thats why I love modular powersupply's. I found without theses supplies, you end up with twisted messes of wirers after a few changes to the system.

Mike

Mike

Back