• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New power supply - Opinions -

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T1Cybernetic

Power supplys are not my strong point but i know a few of you here will know better :p so heres the ones im
currently thinking of buying at the moment but feel free to show me some "better" ones if you know of any.

Seasonic S12 600W Silent ATX2.0
OCZ ModStream 520w ATX2.2 <<< Would prefer this one, and not because of the price :D
Antec TruePower Trio 650W

It will be running my current setup which is a nf7-s v2, mobile xp2500+ @ 2.5gb 1.85vcore, 1gb memory,
1 dvd/rw drive, 1 sata hard drive, 8 case fans and a couple of other things i cant think of right now :D

If it makes any difference im currently running an antec truepower 430 "it's fairly old now" plus i will be
upgrading to core 2 over the coming weeks so if poss it needs to be able to run that when i upgrade :shrug:

What kind of system will you be running when you upgrade (vid card, # of HD's, etc)

Without hearing an answer, I'd say this is a great way to go: http://deadeyedata.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_33&products_id=103

That is a little cheaper than what you can get it for at newegg. They did have a special on them, but I think that expired at the end of the year. (But it's worth a try, use the coupon code JONNYGURU in checkout, might save you ~$10)

That is a great PSU, OEM'ed by Etasis. It's probably the most recommended PSU on the forums right now.

Last edited:
I just did a google and had a look around and found that SilverStone is actualy probably gonna be a better
buy all round and it's a nice price too, cant find any in the uk though yet but i probably overlooked it :p

There is a good chance when i upgrade to the intel setup it will idealy be the something similar to the following.

E6300 /E4300 - Awaiting price /performance overclocking results
Asus P5B Deluxe - Maybe with WIFI
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800/1066 or a decent set of Crucial Sticks
X1950XT /Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 XT-X SILENT Heatpipe 512MB
2x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 160GB 6V160E0 SATA-II 8MB Cache

To be honest im not 100% sure if im sticking to this yet but you get the idea and if i missed anything out just say
but the rest of the stuff like the mouse and keyboard, monitor, speakers etc i'll make up as i go along like usual :D

Also for the start i will be leaving the stock cooler on the cpu or buying a cheap standard one because i will be adding
a custom water cooling setup to my pc over the next few weeks too but im undecided on the parts yet, although it will
be only the cpu and northbridge that is getting cooled, i dont really need anything else water cooled just yet :thup:

I think that covers it!

T1Cybernetic said:
As if i didnt know that website :D but he doesnt have alot of psu's reviewed on there really.

I have his second review sample of the ST56ZF - it's holding up like no other PSU I've ever owned :)

Right before i got my power supply i did some serious research on it and found that over clockers get the best results using the Antec series. On a French website I saw some guy overclock his e6600 to 4.9ghz which is ridiculously high. I picked up the neo HE 550 and it seems to be flawless. Gonna start overclocking with it when my new ram comes in this week... OCZ Platinum XTC 6400 2x1024. Right now i just got 2x512 of ddr2 533mhz which doesnt belong to me so i dont want to take the chance of frying it.

The Neo HE series isn't too bad, but definitely not the best.

I can't imagine you will find a lot of the uber overclockers using an Antec PSU :shrug:

But I'll say I haven't researched that, just a gut feeling. :)

I couldn't really say which is better than the other. They are both OEMed by Seasonic. But they aren't as good of quality as Seasonic branded PSUs

I just know that are are MANY PSU's that I would purchase before an Antec. They are not a terrible PSU by any means, just not something I would recommend or use myself.

Well after taking a few hours to read a little more online and checkout a few reviews and such i've definately
settled on buying that SilverStone ST56ZF :drool: that you recomended :beer: just need to find it cheap in the uk

Thank you for the kick in the right direction :cool: looks like im onto a winner!

Last edited:
T1Cybernetic said:
Well after taking a few hours to read a little more online and checkout a few reviews and such i've definately
settled on buying that SilverStone ST56ZF :drool: that you recomended :beer: just need to find it cheap in the uk

Thank you for the kick in the right direction :cool: looks like im onto a winner!
It's a great PSU. I'm running two of them and not a burp.

Due to unforeseen circumstances i've still NOT ordered a power supply :mad:

I had a couple of things take my attention until today so while i've had some spare time i thought
about a little future proofing regarding the PSU and decided i should check out something a little
higher in wattage just so that all being well i wont have to upgrade the power supply the next
time i buy a new pc which in computing is usualy every year if your greedy like me :p

It seems like the silverstone zeus range are top class power supplys and after you guys recomended the st56zf
along with many other reviews and websites giving it so much praise i thought i would stick to the silverstone psus
and all being well in the next few days i should have myself a brand spanking new SilverStone STxxZF Zeus ASAP...

I personaly perfer the 56 to the rest of the product line for the single 12V rail.
But there all Estalis builds so I can see were others wouldn't care (other then maybe wanting to go quad core and high power needs GFX's as an option, were single rails excel)

Ahh what the hell i caved in and ordered this one instead of the 750 watter i was going to get!

------------------------------------------------------------
560W Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF Quiet x1 @ www.scan.co.uk £76.32
------------------------------------------------------------

I really doubt i will be disapointed judging by all the praise this power supply gets :beer: just have to see :D

T1Cybernetic said:
I really doubt i will be disapointed judging by all the praise this power supply gets :beer: just have to see :D

I really doubt it too ;)

Back