• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new gaming pc, need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niklas

Registered
Right, this is my first pc that I will be compiling myself, so I'd like to get some advice on if these parts even work together and if you would suggest anything better which isn't a lot higher from the current prices of the items. In particular I would like to hear suggestions on the motherboard, ram.

Recommendations for good producers of fans, power supplies and cases would be nice to hear aswell, item specific recommendations even better.

The setup:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pcCsVlQOxOJpPq-_jerkiKA

You have a good list going.

For motherboard, I personally would get either the Asus P5W DH or Abit AW9D, although the one you listed is probably ok.

I would really pick a different PSU though. That GameXStream you listed has four +12v rails. It's better to get a single rail PSU with these Intel dual cores. For example, the OCZ 520W PowerStream is a better choice and is often a little cheaper. It is rated 36 amps on the single +12v rail.

Really good list.

I would go with the suggestion to get a single rail PSU rather than the 4 rail. Don't skimp here though.. it's not a place to save money.

Updated the list, I heard from a friend that the ram might not be very good, but then again the better ones are nearly twice as expensive.

That RAM you have listed is ok. While it does not have the highly sought after D9 chips, it will still be plenty good enough for an E6600. It will easily run 400 FSB at CAS4 with decent overhead for more overclocking if you get lucky and obtain a golden E6600 that does more than 3.6 gig. One of my buddies has this same RAM and he's happy with it.

You switched to the Antec Trio PSU, but it's still a multiple rail power supply (3 +12v rails instead of 4 like the GameXStream had). Ok, you obviously think higher watts is better (which it is, sort of, to a certain point). Here is the ultimate high watt high amp single rail PSU (but I don't know if it's available in Europe): the PC & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V rated 610 watts and 49 amps on the +12v rail (see link). I just got the 750W version of this baby and it's totally awesome.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S61EPS

batboy said:
I just got the 750W version of this baby and it's totally awesome.

BIG GUN new toy for the batboy.. congrats on the monster PSU purchase :bday:

Cheapest name brand DDR2-800 ram is likely going to have Elphia IC's.. plenty of OC'ing headroom for the E6600..

Top performing single user application HD's Hatachi Deskstar 320GB T7K500 or Hatachi Deskstar 500GB T7K500.

Only other advice ICH8R or ICH7R southbridge motherboard, Matrix raid now or in the future ;) :cool:

Back