• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to LN OC. Need expertise from veteran OC's. Preferably Matt.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CousinSMooth

Registered
Hey. I just have a liquid Corsair CPU cooler and a fan blowing on the side of my chassis. I live in Florida. It gets too hot still and shuts down. I would love and genuinely appreciate for any master LN Overclocker to give me a quick synopsis please on materials, price , quantity etc and any peripherals needed to make sure it runs effortlessly and least self maintenance required, a professional setup basically. I have no idea where to start. I saw tanks of LN in Matt the world record LN OC holder's garage lab. I was just curious how much a month it would cost for me in LN to boost my OC from a 4.9ghz to like an 8ghz like he did. I currently live in West Palm Beach Florida and am unsure of the prices if anyone can help with that too. I know it's over kill to OC for a gaming and stuff. I'm not doing AI or mining rigs so really I just am an enthusiastic PC builder wanting max FPS and absolutely don't mind overkilling. Just need some help starting because I don't know what other materials, (maybe hoses etc) are needed to run subzero LN cooling for a PC. If you guys can redirect me to a new thread that can teach me everything because Im not trying to reinvent the wheel. Thanks for anyone who applies. Much love

Matthew Ferreira
(Also side note, I'm currently getting A2 on my mobo with no peripherals plugged in and tried using only 1 stick of ram and swapping, all plugs are tight and no bent pins, I cleared CMOS to restart an OC while I had a heavy usage game loaded up and idk if that fried my 500gig Samsung ssd? I was thinking about calling EVGA about the x99 ftw K board I'm using and seeing if they have a dual bios or someway I can flash update the bios maybe that will help me get to see the bios because I can't even get a display signal. I unplugged the SSD and still can't get a display or into the bios, just A2.

Well, the thing is, LN2 cooling isn't a 24/7 thing... or not a drop of the switch, type of cooling. It's for taking your PC to the dragstrip and seeing how fast it will go in a short distance, not the Indy 500. It's simply not for gaming. People have done it in short sessions, sure (you can do anything while it's 'under'), but it's not remotely a viable thing 24/7 for a home user.

As far as LN2 pricing, you'd have to call your local Airgas and see how much you can get it for. Last I recall, for giant fills it was .50 /L, but I've heard of people paying well over $1.50 /L too... so, it depends.

Honestly, if you could get whatever CPU you have (no mention) to 8 Ghz, even the cheap processors from today will still beat them in gaming and most other tasks. Maybe it's best to save up for a new system?

EDIT: That said, if you want to LN2 overclock we're here to help. But it's just not a 24/7 thing. There's no cost-effective way to microdose the LN2 (as you've seen it's poured into a cylinder manually), the board needs to be prepared/sealed to prevent moisture from reaching the bits (condensation).... so much to consider... for such temporary gains.

idk if that fried my 500gig Samsung ssd?
Doubtful.
seeing if they have a dual bios
IIRC, The X99 FTW K does. It should say at the website.... confirm by checking there. There should be a switch to swap to the other BIOS. See your manual for the board/the website.

Your issues are for a different thread, though... let's keep this one on the subject of LN2 cooling for your PC. ;)

Last edited:
Well, the thing is, LN2 cooling isn't a 24/7 thing... or not a drop of the switch, type of cooling. It's for taking your PC to the dragstrip and seeing how fast it will go in a short distance, not the Indy 500. It's simply not for gaming. People have done it in short sessions, sure (you can do anything while it's 'under'), but it's not remotely a viable thing 24/7 for a home user.

As far as LN2 pricing, you'd have to call your local Airgas and see how much you can get it for. Last I recall, for giant fills it was .50 /L, but I've heard of people paying well over $1.50 /L too... so, it depends.

Honestly, if you could get whatever CPU you have (no mention) to 8 Ghz, even the cheap processors from today will still beat them in gaming and most other tasks. Maybe it's best to save up for a new system?

EDIT: That said, if you want to LN2 overclock we're here to help. But it's just not a 24/7 thing. There's no cost-effective way to microdose the LN2 (as you've seen it's poured into a cylinder manually), the board needs to be prepared/sealed to prevent moisture from reaching the bits (condensation).... so much to consider... for such temporary gains.

Doubtful.

IIRC, The X99 FTW K does. It should say at the website.... confirm by checking there. There should be a switch to swap to the other BIOS. See your manual for the board/the website.

Your issues are for a different thread, though... let's keep this one on the subject of LN2 cooling for your PC. ;)
THX!!!. Okay so so yes I am on a old setup about 8 years old to be exact. I am planning to do LN with a diff setup and spend maybe around $5k-$10k on a high grade side, maybe a few grand just on the GPU alone. I may just build one mid grade for around $3k though, I'm not sure yet. However, that's awesome to know the new CPUs are capable of extreme OCing comparing them to older CPUs like my 6 core Intel I bought 8 years ago when it 8 was the most and 10 cores weren't even around really. So whenever I do get this new setup, I have to cover the board, how exactly and what do I use to cover the bits and what products to help get that material to stay covered ? I don't plan on having my PC on 24/7 I just wanted to turn the LN on whenever I booted up for a gaming session/streaming, I'm not sure if I'm going to do a dual PC setup for streaming so I may have a lot of load on that one PC and really want subzero temps for sure if I'm OCing extremely high while streaming. I'm not going for world record, I just want a really really high Overclock and the temperature to be maintained in Florida. I grow plants a little bit so I'm very familiar with timers and stuff. Perhaps there's a way to get the LN on a device similar to a timer to release the LN whenever I boot up the extremely OC'd PC? Or is it more of you just have to turn something on the tank to open up the flow of LN? I know for CO2 for plants we use burners or a hose with laser drilled holes very small for the CO2 to "rain" over the plants. Would love some specific tips on actually running the LN as well and covering the board too. Thanks for all the help so far , I just learned something new today ☺️
Post magically merged:

Also how many liters would I need to have on average for a gaming session at subzero temps for let's say 7 hours. That's how long my streams can be sometimes. I understand it's going to cost money, the same way growing plants without CO2 versus spending money on CO2. It may not be a huge difference but you will get bigger yields from plants using CO2 so it's more for personal use and enjoying your own harvests and not worrying so much about the money you really don't have to spend an duse but choose to spend to be able to do things to maximize potential. So I do understand that I'm going to be spending cash everytime I want to use my PC due to LN being a necessity monthly. The same way I grow my indoor plants I know I'm spending extra money to take care of them better for personal use. At the end of the day it's a luxury tax but it makes me happy doing these things as I enjoy maximizing potential from the things I enjoy doing like gaming and growing plants.

Last edited:
LN2 overclocking is for setting world records not gaming. You're too busy keeping the pot topped off to do anything else ha ha.

For 24/7 extreme cooling you would need a single stage or cascade phase change type cooler which will get you your sub zero temps

I'll repeat............. this isn't a 24/7 thing. This isn't a gaming thing. This isn't a gaming and streaming thing. You want stability in that setup, not brink of death. It's not something you can really switch on and off. You've seen how it's done (beckoning Matt, you had to, right?)... it's a manual pour from a thermos into a cylinder placed on top of the CPU. There are microdosing LN2 setups available, but again they are THOUSANDS of dollars themselves.

Ideally, you're not even doing this on your daily driver but a system you can afford to lose.............because you will lose parts trying to push things to the limit.

As far as board prep... the thread (a sticky in this section, please read any applicable) is from 2009, but gives you the details on what to cover and with what - https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/sub-zero-insulation.611543/

maybe a few grand just on the GPU alone.
So, uhhhh, what GPU are you going to buy that costs 'a few thousand'? You do realize the professional cards are NOT good for gaming, correct???

Also how many liters would I need to have on average for a gaming session at subzero temps for let's say 7 hours. That's how long my streams can be sometimes.
That depends on the chip you're using (still haven't listed system specs..................) and how hard it's being pushed.

So I do understand that I'm going to be spending cash everytime I want to use my PC due to LN being a necessity monthly.
I'll bookend this for clarity... this is not a 24/7/gaming/streaming thing. You don't just put a board under LN2 for 7 hours shut it off, and without additional preparation and precautions, do it all over again and again and again. For your listed uses, the juice (pun intended) isn't remotely worth the squeeze and that has NOTHING to do with the additional expense of it all (that's another thing).

Doubtful.

Not to get off topic but I literally just switched to 2nd bios because I read the manual online like you suggested and located the switch, I'm still getting A2 on 2nd bios. I have no idea what to do. Is the mobo just fried? I'm not even sure if x99 has a specific USB to flash update the bios without a display, I know gigabyte had a specific white USB slot that was capable of that one of their boards from forums I've read. I'm pretty much thinking the mobo fried somehow... Idk what to do. Guess throw the thing in the trash huh

Not to get off topic but I literally just switched to 2nd bios because I read the manual online like you suggested and located the switch, I'm still getting A2 on 2nd bios. I have no idea what to do. Is the mobo just fried? I'm not even sure if x99 has a specific USB to flash update the bios without a display, I know gigabyte had a specific white USB slot that was capable of that one of their boards from forums I've read. I'm pretty much thinking the mobo fried somehow... Idk what to do. Guess throw the thing in the trash huh
As I said already, please start another thread in the appropriate section to troubleshoot the build. This thread is in the EXTREME COOLING section and has nothing to do with troubleshooting. Perhaps put the new troubleshooting thread in General Hardware and we can attack that there. This is to discuss LN2 cooling options.

LN2 overclocking is for setting world records not gaming. You're too busy keeping the pot topped off to do anything else ha ha.

For 24/7 extreme cooling you would need a single stage or cascade phase change type cooler which will get you your sub zero temps
So what I'm understanding is, I need to tone it down a bit and not go crazy but microdose a decently high OC may be more cost effective and worth while for me. And to simplify my life with that, the cascade phase change type cooler or a single stage will make it so I can just have it running all the time and just turn on my PC whenever instead of having to spend time just preparing to be able to turn the OC'd PC on.

So what I'm understanding is, I need to tone it down a bit and not go crazy but microdose a decently high OC may be more cost effective and worth while for me. And to simplify my life with that, the cascade phase change type cooler or a single stage will make it so I can just have it running all the time and just turn on my PC whenever instead of having to spend time just preparing to be able to turn the OC'd PC on.
Sort of phase change coolers still needs some prep work upfront to prevent condensation. As we all know, water and electronics don't mix.
They're also very expensive to buy off the shelf

I need to tone it down a bit and not go crazy
Yep. For your listed uses, even phase change coolers require prep work too. Also, increased power used to run them and noise in the room if you're a streamer. Do you want to go balls to the wall? Build a custom water cooling system... people do that all the time and game and stream, etc. Way less effort, much more stable, and much less risk involved.

EDIT: If I was in your shoes........

...I'd use the X99 setup to try TRADITIONAL LN2 overclocking. I'd buy a new system to play games/stream along with a custom water loop to cool it. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Sort of phase change coolers still needs some prep work upfront to prevent condensation. As we all know, water and electronics don't mix.
They're also very expensive to buy off the shelf
This is a beautiful product. I think I want to purchase it. I would prefer more OC and use this system versus the water cooling one just to be simpler. As I said I'm a bit of an enthusiastic PC user and I think this is exactly what I was looking for boys. I genuinely appreciate this man. Is there one that can go onto the GPU too or cpu ? I'm just confused on what its cooling exactly and if I would need a different product for the GPU to stay cool as well we'll just say a ASUS 3090 ROG strix OC'd GPU for example, or do those not need cooling and it's just the mobo/CPU? I'm a bit of a noob not gonna lie to you guys. I know OCing the CPU is basically what I'm doing, but since the GPU is near it and is already OC'd from manufacture I really don't think I want to overclock it further? And would it be exposed to higher heat temps and need a seperate system to cool it or no because the CPU is under control from the Phase change cooler right so it wouldn't be effected by anything extra the CPU is undergoing since it's being maintained by the phase change cooler ?
Post magically merged:

Yep. For your listed uses, even phase change coolers require prep work too. Also, increased power used to run them and noise in the room if you're a streamer. Do you want to go balls to the wall? Build a custom water cooling system... people do that all the time and game and stream, etc. Way less effort, much more stable, and much less risk involved.

...I'd use the X99 setup to try TRADITIONAL LN2 overclocking. I'd buy a new system to play games/stream along with a custom water loop to cool it. Best of both worlds.
I would probably adjust the noise gate on the Shure sm7b mic and adapt to the noise but I hear you it would annoy me because I can still hear it. Is there anything I can purchase or what maybe just use long extensions and have the PC in a separate room than me and the monitors is the best bet right ? Appreciate the heads up about the sound EarthDog. Glad to know they are a little costly on the electric bill too. These are things that I would've been surprised by and not prepared for if you hadn't acknowledged it to me. Thank you so much!

It would cool the CPU only. The GPU has it's own cooler.

This is about as close as you're going to get for switching on sub-ambient cooling, indeed. But like was said, you need to build FOR it. Prep the board... it should be FLAT now so any condesnation that does occur, doesn't run down and immediately kill your board...things like that. It's not just open case, mount and go, ya know?

That said, whatever CPU you have (how many times have we asked, lol!!), even at 8 Ghz (which sounds like an AMD thing, not Intel, lol) I highly doubt will be able to run a modern game and stream. At more realistic clock speeds for constant operation a 6c/12t CPU will hold that GPU back from several generations ago, especially at 1080p and even 2560x1440.

I'm a bit of a noob not gonna lie to you guys.
Much respect, but that much is obvious (and it's OK!!). For me, it's part of the reason I'm turning you away from such a thing. It's like, you made a paper airplane, and the next target is the moon forgetting about everything you need in between....and the shooting for the moon is pointless for your uses. Diminishing returns starts with water. ;)

Last edited:

I hear ya it's risky and
Post magically merged:

Yea your advice might be best. I can use the PC I have now to learn how to LN cool it and maybe just use it as a 2nd streaming PC for the gaming PC to help mitigate the workload on the higher grade gaming one I plan to build instead of making it stream too. Plus all the expensive parts on the gaming PC wouldn't be at risk, but as you said in lieu of putting the motherboard on the side of the chassis like mine is now, it should be on the floor of the chassis flat? I would need a special chassis for that because I don't think my cooler master XL can even have a mobo flat on the ground? Any products on the chassis you guys recommend for a PHASE CHANGE cooling unit?
Post magically merged:

I would love some links to products to help me cover the mobo properly too. In my mind I'm think of garbage bag pieces taped around the bits lmao so I know there must be a professional way with better products than I'm imagining to cover the bits as best as possible for reduce possibility of frying the board from the LN coming into contact with the bits. My Corsair water CPU cooler hasnt leaked yet though. Is LN known for leaking a lot? Or is it more about who sets it up and covers the board, I'm sure a seasoned LN overclocker can keep a phase change 24/7 system leak proof with proper setting up?

Last edited:
I think that old PC should be OK streaming. But seeing as how you successfully glazed over the multiple requests for system specs (or just the CPU at this point, lol), it's difficult to confirm, hehe! I'd imagine you're good, though. But again, no need to overclock (LN2 it) it as a streaming PC... but for giggles, get on it!

That said, with the outrageous(ly awesome) budget you listed earlier, you can buy ONE PC that's plenty good enough to stream from and game from. Flagship Intel and AMD processors (13900K and 7950X) both provide plenty of horsepower to such a thing. Grab a 4000 series GPU and with the newest encoder that's on it, you won't have an issue.

I would gladly tell you guys my setup if I could get into my PC display but I cannot. I built this thing too long ago. I just know the CPU is a 6 core Intel perhaps an i5 running with an EVGA 1080 ftw GPU on the x99 with 64 gigs of jawz g skill ram 3400
Post magically merged:

But my mobo may be fried so I may have to grab a new one for this streaming PC I plan on doing LN2 too. Also I'm not mining or doing AI or anything heavy load. What GPU is currently best for gaming ? I was just gunna pick up a rog strix 3090 for around 3k. I did my research about a year ago but I know nothing about the 4 series. What is getting the highest benchmarks now ? Because last I checked from all the brands in the 3 series it was the Asus rog strix OC 3090 and that's what I was planning to get. Is there one that's better now that's not insanely expensive like $5k+. I'm trying to spend around 3k for the GPU like I said but just curious if you guys already did any research on 4 series GPU benchmarks, just want to know which brand and card is best ATM out of the 4 series

Last edited:
I'd also love some pics of examples of PCs with phase change cooling setups! Just curious how they cover the boards really as the pic from Matt's garage lab only showed me the LN tank cylinders.
Post magically merged:

I think that old PC should be OK streaming. But seeing as how you successfully glazed over the multiple requests for system specs (or just the CPU at this point, lol), it's difficult to confirm, hehe! I'd imagine you're good, though. But again, no need to overclock (LN2 it) it as a streaming PC... but for giggles, get on it!

That said, with the outrageous(ly awesome) budget you listed earlier, you can buy ONE PC that's plenty good enough to stream from and game from. Flagship Intel and AMD processors (13900K and 7950X) both provide plenty of horsepower to such a thing. Grab a 4000 series GPU and with the newest encoder that's on it, you won't have an issue.
I've always used Intel. Is AMD better in your opinion or are they equal. I always thought AMD was cheaper than Intel and you get what you pay for or do there products equal in quality to them and lifespan etc

Last edited:
Wow this video is awesome thank you so much. It looks like since they said $500 CAD for 230 liters that comes out to $369 usd which is about $1.60 a liter. He said half a liter a run but idk if Allen was talking about when he says a run, either a quick benchmark or one of the 24 hours days I suppose. I didn't realize how hard this actually is. That liquid electric tape looks awesome. I definitely wouldn't be trying to break records so I'm sure I would use less LN microdosing through a phase change obviously. I really do want to try this. I have no clue where to buy a backboard heater that the one world record guy made that Allen went up against before. I really wish I could do this in person with someone that has expertise one day. Would be a blessing. I know certain parts shouldn't be covered because they help defrost the mobo. I really appreciate that video it was awesome.

What GPU is currently best for gaming ? I was just gunna pick up a rog strix 3090 for around 3k. I did my research about a year ago but I know nothing about the 4 series. What is getting the highest benchmarks now ? Because last I checked from all the brands in the 3 series it was the Asus rog strix OC 3090 and that's what I was planning to get. Is there one that's better now that's not insanely expensive like $5k+. I'm trying to spend around 3k for the GPU like I said but just curious if you guys already did any research on 4 series GPU benchmarks, just want to know which brand and card is best ATM out of the 4 series
If you want build advice for a new build, create a thread for that. It's completely different than this thread. But to give a quick answer, they are all extremely close together. Not sure, offhand, which has that 0.5% lead over the others.

I'd also love some pics of examples of PCs with phase change cooling setups! Just curious how they cover the boards really as the pic from Matt's garage lab only showed me the LN tank cylinders.
The big *** hose you see on the unit goes over top of the CPU and mounts through the board (holes are already there).

I would love some links to products to help me cover the mobo properly too. In my mind I'm think of garbage bag pieces taped around the bits lmao so I know there must be a professional way with better products than I'm imagining
lol, so true. Artist eraser is one thing (I gave you a link earlier..........) we use. You can also use a conformal coating on the board as well. But that requires a lot of effort taping some parts off you don't want to get the product on. I typically use artist eraser packed around the socket, VRM, and DRAM areas. Again, see the link I provided earlier/the STICKY thread in this section covering it.

Please take your time to search this great site. A lot of what you're asking has been covered before and guides 'stuck' to the top of the sections. Explains how board prep... shows pics... water cooling guides... reviews of hardware... it's all here.... take a look around and see what you can find in the meantime. :)

I've always used Intel. Is AMD better in your opinion or are they equal. I always thought AMD was cheaper than Intel and you get what you pay for or do there products equal in quality to them and lifespan etc
That may have been true generations ago. Today, they are equally fast for your purposes.

Im not gonna talk microdosing for the reasons already listed. If you want to run a normal LN2 session, I keep a 35L dewar for filling. That lasts me an entire session of overclocking (few/several hours) a fairly high-end/high power use chip. LIie... focus. Are you really into paying thousands for microdosing machine? If not, let's move on... this thread is hella confusing for a simpleton like me. lol

FYI, please use the edit functionality to add to your posts until someone replies. Gather all of your thoughts, slow down a bit... :)

Last edited:
If you want build advice for a new build, create a thread for that. It's completely different than this thread. But to give a quick answer, they are all extremely close together. Not sure, offhand, which has that 0.5% lead over the others.

The big *** hose you see on the unit goes over top of the CPU and mounts through the board (holes are already there).

lol, so true. Artist eraser is one thing (I gave you a link earlier..........) we use. You can also use a conformal coating on the board as well. But that requires a lot of effort taping some parts off you don't want to get the product on. I typically use artist eraser packed around the socket, VRM, and DRAM areas. Again, see the link I provided earlier/the STICKY thread in this section covering it.

Please take your time to search this great site. A lot of what you're asking has been covered before and guides 'stuck' to the top of the sections. Explains how board prep... shows pics... water cooling guides... reviews of hardware... it's all here.... take a look around and see what you can find in the meantime. :)

That may have been true generations ago. Today, they are equally fast for your purposes.

Im not gonna talk microdosing for the reasons already listed. If you want to run a normal LN2 session, I keep a 35L dewar for filling. That lasts me an entire session of overclocking (few/several hours) a fairly high-end/high power use chip. LIie... focus. Are you really into paying thousands for microdosing machine? If not, let's move on... this thread is hella confusing for a simpleton like me. lol

FYI, please use the edit functionality to add to your posts until someone replies. Gather all of your thoughts, slow down a bit... :)
Okay appreciate it. Yes I am willing to spend a few thousand on a microdosing machine, I thought the phase change cooler did that for me but apparently from what you are stating I need that unit as well as a microdose unit ? And 35L for a few hours session is about $50-$60 dollars at $1.60 usd per Liter so definitely really expensive to run and that's without the electricity bill too. I'm thinking that microdosing I'll use less though and will be at a lower frequency ghz versus your sessions that are probably higher benchmarking and need the extra LN.

Back