• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apple's iPhone is incredibly sexy!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

For anyone that hasn't seen what this thing looks like, it's VERY pretty:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/09/apple_announces_iphone/index.html
^^Click the slideshow link which has 16 pics of the phone.

2zr6.jpg

I watched the whole hour and a half presentation on it last night and I absolutely love it except for 3 or 4 reasons.

1. No 3G support (both dissappointing and surprising)
2. No removable battery (So hopefully kits become available for replacing it so we don't run into the same problem as the iPod)
3. No third party software can be installed and I don't think first party can either unless it's included in some kind of firmware update
4. Having a pocket PC, I miss having an actual tactile number pad so I can dial without looking, but I'm starting to use voice dial more and more.

The price is hefty, but looking back, I paid $300 for an HTC wizard. I still want an iPod which is another $250. I know I can play music on my PPC, but it's not practical at all. I kind of wish the phone was just a tad bigger and they added in a small harddrive rather than flash memory so they could increase storage space. They advertise movies being played on it, but how many movies is a 4gb phone going to hold?

I'll still be shelling out for this badboy when June rolls around.

speed bump said:
Okay I can buy a Palm treo and get something better already whats the point in owning this?

BECAUSE....it has iPod appeal. What else are the movie stars going to be given to make you want to spend your money so you can look like them.

That really doesn't impress me....

I have had my Samsung i730 now for months and I love this thing. My only complaint is that it's a bit bulky but whatever....

I think the deciding factor will be how fast and smoothly it runs.

I have a cingular 8125 (HTC wizard), and loading up TomTom takes over a minute which I find absurd. WM5 can just be really slow. Loading text messages takes about 5-15 seconds.
I want lightning fast response to what I'm doing and lets face it, the browsers on all WM5 are crippled as hell. The ONLY time I use them is if I absolutely HAVE to look something up. The zoom feature on these opens up a whole new conveinience factor.
Playing MP3's via TCMP or WMP? Forget it. I have a pair of bluetooth headphones and using them sucks up so much CPU usage on the phone that it becomes just about unusable. Not to mention the lack of headphone jacks. Adapter? Yeah, OK, if I want a 2 inch hunk of plastic sticking off of this thing maybe. Movies? Ehhhh, Maybe. Storage on a WM5 unit? Max of 4GB + internal ram. That will run you another $75 for the mini SD card anyways.
I have no use for corporate email, so I have no comment or concern regarding that.
I've wanted to replace my old, dead iPod for awhile now but I don't want to carry around a phone and iPod and I don't want to have to shell out another x amount of dollars for a bluetooth adapter for my iPod.
So, I put this in perspective for myself.
iPod - $250
Adapter for iPod - ~$50
My current phone cost me - $300 + $40 for the MiniSD
Total: $640
So I ask myself, why would I not shell out $599 to get an iPod, a damn good looking browser and a phone that looks like it works damn well?

it does look very nice, but i still prefer my Axim x51v. i don't think i'll be able to play quake 3 arena with that :p I use my PDA for an mp3 player, scheduler, watch a movie or something between classes, play games, surf the internet (wifi in almost every building), and to record certain lectures.

For listening to music i use pocketplayer, a great program that is much better than WMP but it does cost $$. For watching movies i use "Core Media Player" which also costs $$. i used to use TCPMP but it had problems playing certain mpeg4's so i decided to just buy it so i could watch them without having to constantly re-render to find that perfect bitrate/resolution.

if i was looking for a phone/ipod, this would be right up there with LG's chocolate or other mp3 phones. But this is by apple... so what great potential it has is castrated by apple :(

Just too pricey. It's easier and cheaper to carry my Razr and an 80GB Ipod. Course if you need to watch TV on the go..... Oh thats right I can already do that on my Razr.

They failed to make it work on the emerging 3rd Generation wireless data networks. Works on cingular's slower GSM and Edge data networks. No over the air downloads thru itunes. Gotta hook it up to a PC.

But it is sexy, and if I saw somebody with one I'd surely gush over it. Maybe a hands on would sway my mind.

Last edited:
I read that this phone will only be available with a 2 year contract...that really sucks (and is kinda dumb IMO).

If the phone gets popular, maybe that will change...I dunno.

If you look at the website it also only has about 5 hours of battery life with full usage, that just sux, not even a full school day

mils128 said:
If you look at the website it also only has about 5 hours of battery life with full usage, that just sux, not even a full school day

Battery

* Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing
* Up to 16 hours Audio playback

That sounds pretty impressive to me. I think that 5 hours of talk time or video playback is quite good for a device like this. And 16 hours of audio playback is more than enough for almost everyone.

I read that this phone will only be available with a 2 year contract...that really sucks (and is kinda dumb IMO).

That might just be to get the phone discounted. I always sign up for 2 years to get a cheaper phone. 2 years just seems to fly by, I would stop in to get a new phone now, since its been over 2 years, but I haven't seen anything I like better then the Razr.

Athough the camera stopped working when I dropped it in the toilet. lol

There are always places that sell the unbranded phones, such as myworldphone. this phone looks amazing., but wholly **** is it expensive/

Reports today are saying no 3rd party software. That's frickin horrible. Any small chance that I would have bought this just went out the window.

speed bump said:
Okay I can buy a Palm treo and get something better already whats the point in owning this?
I own a Palm Treo, I'd much rather have the iPhone. Video playback on the Treo is dodgy at best and, audio is just OK. If you want to make it better you need to 'buy' software which all seems to cost $19.00 USD or more. The iPhone is said to come out on June 15th (my birthday). Coincidence? I think not..

Last edited:
I feel the exact opposite of the poster above me. I own a Palm Treo 700p and there is only one thing I don't like about it. At times it becomes unresponsive for about 15-20 seconds, but this is caused by software on the Palm and can be fixed. Thats it, the only thing I hate about it. Much better than carrying a cell phone and a Zire 72 around...lol

I don't browse much with my Treo, nor do I listen to music/movies that much on it. I use it as a phone and calendar (are personal reminder, best part! :p).

It all comes down to what you want to use it for...

Edit: Oh yeah, and a QWERTY keyboard...

Back