• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800gts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How is the game performance differ from the gts to the gtx. im trying to decide if its worth jumping from the gts to the gtx in price wise. Ill be ordering soon cant wait.

boostified said:
How is the game performance differ from the gts to the gtx. im trying to decide if its worth jumping from the gts to the gtx in price wise. Ill be ordering soon cant wait.

lets just say i can get my gts to run GTX scores...

but a gts @ stock is still AMAZING... BF2 @ max settings @ 1024x768@85hz with 8xAA and 8xAF with vsync on and image quality set to the highest (comes one notch below high) i get no less than 85fps... its an 85fps constant seems as how i have vsync on so it produces more FPS but i limit it to 85fps to get rid of tearing.

Ok so with a e6600 and 8800gts i should be able to run everything on high max settings on a 22'' lcd? or should i go to the gtx if i want that.

boostified said:
Ok so with a e6600 and 8800gts i should be able to run everything on high max settings on a 22'' lcd? or should i go to the gtx if i want that.

oh ya... you get ur e6600 to like 3.0-3.4ghz and a 8800gts you will be fine probably even at stock clocks on the gts... but you can go from 500/1600 to 600/1900 withtout even trying.

cuz the gtx is already that speed and has 128mb more mem and cuz I only needed $350 to get it after i sold my previous card :)

boostified said:
then why do people pay the extra $ for the gtx when the gts overclocks to the speed of the gtx?

because a GTS at GTX speeds does not equal a GTX.

GTS:
* Fabrication process- 90 nm
* Number of Transistors- 681 million
* Core clock- 500 MHz
* Shader Clock- 1200 MHz
* Stream Processors- 96
* Memory Clock/ Data Rate- 800 MHz/1600
* Memory Interface- 320 bits
* Memory Bandwidth- 64 GB/s
* ROPs- 20
* Frame Buffer Size- 640 MB
* Texture Fill Rate- 24 GT/s
* RAMDACs- 400 MHz
* Bus Technology- PCI Express

GTX:
* Fabrication Process: 90 nm
* Number of Transistors: 681 million
* Core clock: 575 MHz
* Shader Clock: 1350 MHz
* Stream Processors: 128
* Memory clock/ data rate: 900 MHz/1800
* Memory Interface: 384 bits
* Memory Bandwidth: 86.4 GB/s
* ROPs: 24
* Frame Buffer Size: 768 MB
* Texture Fill Rate: 36.8 GT/s
* RAMDACs: 400 MHz
* Bus Technology: PCI Express

Plus, yes you can probably overclock the GTS and get equal/near/better performance to the GTX. But that also applies for the GTX

EDIT: I'm not knocking the GTS. It's a great card, especially for the price point. But it's definitely not a GTX.

Yea for me i dont see spending $500 on a card right now early in the dx10 cards. Im going to do a complete overhaul with a quadcore and newest graphics card around april or may so im just going with something decent for now that has dx10 support.

I have a GTS my bro has a GTX . Our systems are almost identical in specs , and the 3Dmark06 scores are only 450 points in differance (both cards maxed oc'ed) . Benchmarks are not everything , but with the minmal testing we've done on the same games and on his 21" and my 22" lcd @ 1680x1250 everything is very very close as far as fps (if not identical) . I know that with "some" apps/games his GTX will beat my GTS , but for now its a tight race .
Ive got no problems recommending a GTS vs a GTX . For the $$$ I saved on my GTS , it will bring me that much closer to a possible GTS/SLi setup down the road (if need be) . I fiqure by the time I "NEED" a pair in an SLi setup to keep up with the latest games , then I'll have saved enough $$$ (with the GTS's) to upgrade my cpu/mobo to a better , less bottlenecked rig for SLi .
Some current reports of compared SLi'ed GTS vs GTX rigs are only a mear few fps in differance in almost all tests/games . For me , the GTS choice was made based on a SLi setup for myself sometime in the future . I have no regrets with my current GTS purchase (and planned upgrade path) . :)

Last edited:
Please don't think I'm trying to talk you out of the GTS, I just wanted to point something out.

It's been shown quite a bit that these cards are limited by the speed of the CPU's. Opty 2.5's probably limit these's cards quite a bit. So it's quite likely that your performance is similar not because the cards are equal, but becuase the CPUs are holding them to a similar level.

Like I said, I'm not saying don't buy the GTS, I'm sure it'll be a thrilling card. I just wanted to be sure you were fully informed.

jivetrky said:
It's been shown quite a bit that these cards are limited by the speed of the CPU's. Opty 2.5's probably limit these's cards quite a bit. So it's quite likely that your performance is similar not because the cards are equal, but becuase the CPUs are holding them to a similar level.
True, but if they both are running pretty high resolutions, the video card becomes the limiting factor.....not the processor. Everyone always suggests a bottleneck but these cards were made for high resolutions and that's where they shine. It puts the pressure of the game back on the graphics card and off the cpu.

For the money, I don't think the GTX is worth it but thats of course just my opinion.

blitzkrieg1110 said:
True, but if they both are running pretty high resolutions, the video card becomes the limiting factor.....not the processor. Everyone always suggests a bottleneck but these cards were made for high resolutions and that's where they shine. It puts the pressure of the game back on the graphics card and off the cpu.

For the money, I don't think the GTX is worth it but thats of course just my opinion.

Well, depending on the game being played, 1680x1050 may or may not be high.

Back