• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is just Killing me !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
ok, so I finally set up this really neat network setup.

DLS box>wirles router>distro hub>multiple pc's

That way I can connect the lappy from downstairs and have some more plug ins for newer farm equipment.

At 1st I had it connected thru a switch instead of the hub, to the pc's.
I kept loosing my I-net connection, then I stuck the hub in & all seemed well.

Seemed.

IThe pc's sometime won't connect to the internet, I end up rebooting because the connection times out basically. After a reboot, it connects just fine & quickly.

So, I finish a WU or 2, or 4 or 6 but they don't send..... :bang head

They're stuck in the cue. ok, fine. I reboot, they dump & then on reboot it uploads some new WU's, but without sending the finished WU's !!!!!!!!!!

This isn't working at all. I'm missing around 2,000 points from various WU's.

:mad:

check you have the latest firmware on the modem and the router....my netgear used to time out for no reason.

a unmanged switch would be better than a hub.

if you have all of the rigs trying to upload at once, i would think you would get a problem (some of my uploads are 7mb), have you tried doing a sendall one at a time?

what is the error from the client (503 or 504?), or just cannot assign?

lee

Had a switch instead of the hub & it would just loose the connection until I figured a hub did a better job at the management of it all.

-guess not.

No errors. just finishes the WU & doen't send it - won't - can't.
no connection.

after a reboot of line check, it finds no problems. reboot & it recognises it again & all is fine.

& if it's in the cueue, it should send it upon reconnection, but it just dumps it.

I guess I have no clue and should just go back to the old setup or just get a bigger router. (8 port) for my needs.

I would agree that switches are better than hubs. I used to find in my early (small) home network that the latency involved with a hub could stop my kids machines from ever getting sessions established with the isp software at the time - replaced hub with a cheap switch an all has been well. This is especially true when you get more switches like i have now.

Wirelesss may be attenuating the problem?

Can't really help much on the wireless other than on physical setup issues - i set one up for my neice and nephew and the biggest issue was getting a short and straight enough path for it to work reliably. Found that it works pretty good now with the base in the basement and the pc's are on the 2 floors but in rooms directly above the base.

Tried it out in my house ( a long ranch bunglow) and it couldn't cover the whole house. Going through multiple walls/floors on angles seems to severely limit it ... so placement of the base station is key. Or you need more access points to cover the whole house ... but i never tried this.

I'm so sorry to hear this (not). I really wish I could help (harm) you. It is (not) a shame..all those unattained points..I feel soo bad for you (not).

02.21.07, 12am / 33 Days

See you in a month;)

The wireless parts works good. sends signal to room below the office.

The internet connection on one machine is giving me the problem though.

I have no idea whats going on with it.

just copied out the WU, rebooted, did a -send all, started client again.

here's hoping I get credit for one patty melt next update. [pray]

If not I will -send all from a thumbdrived borg.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I've had three of my last four WU's get queued up. I would notice it and restart the service and it would usually upload right away.

This is over wireless but that's almost never caused me any problems anywhere.

Also switches are a ton better then hubs as many have already stated.

have you done the firmware??
honestly mate, my netgear would drop the connection every time you needed it most :)

and check the connection timeout, just incase it is dropping the line through lack of action.....

try this, set one of the machines to do a looping ping command to google or something so that the line stays alive, and see if that works

lee

Back