• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C'n the PIII 550E coppermine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeniva

ok...I have a PIII 550E coppermine..curently its running @735Mhz(5.5x133fsb) , every time i change the mulitplier in the BIOS to ..lets say 6.5 , the bios kicks the mulitplier back to 5.5 and boosts the fsb to 150...I guess that means the Multiplier is locked..this is a SLOT1 cpu, can anyone help me with some links to instructions on un-locking the multiplier?..or is it not possible..and im going to have to stay with 735 mhz?
Im building a new system right now...but would still like to get this 550E as fast as i can...Im gonna join the OCSeti team...and im going to use the 550 as a dedicated cruncher

It is not possible to change the multipleir on an Intel chip since the p2-333 unless of course you have an Intel confidetial Engineering Sample but those can't be bought from anywere.

Thanx

Well...Gee that sux...lol...but thanx...at least that explaines why I couldnt find any info on unlocking it...gues im stuck at 735 for now...unless i can get it working at the 150 FSB

Yea it DOES s*ck...Intel rates a chip, sets the multiplier, and "blows" a resistor, or fuse in the chip, thereby making the multi permanent.
You could check out the "cpu database" from this site's front page, (the link is right under "welcome") and click on your cpu, and see what has worked for others...btw, your O'C' is right about the average that most have posted there...and the highest is 971mhz...so I say you have a decent overclock going.
You might be able to get a little more out of it, but 200mhz over spec is pretty good for an early coppie

Back