• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New battery, stuck @ 55%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

I just got a new replacement battery for my Compaq last month, it's barely been used at all.

So the other day I was using my laptop on the Lazyboy... got up and zapped the bottom of it with static electricity, corrupted the registry, had to recover.

I finally recovered eveything today to find out that my new battery is shown as always charging and stuck at 55% charge all the time. But when I unplug the power cord it shuts down. WTF? Anyone know of a fix for this?

My old battery still works just fine. I got the new one recently to take advantage of my 3 year warranty plan from worst buy. But looks like the battery they sent me is a POS.

Any thoughts?

zap of static electricity? the chassis should be able to handle a jolt...

Check (if possible) for corrosion on battery pins, make sure the battery isn't overheating. reset your bios (maybe for some reason the bios thinks your inserting the wrong battery)

if the battery has a status light on the back of it, check the charge with that, also hold the button down and see if it will give you a permanent wear level status (all dell laptop batteries do this not sure about compaq)

have you tried turning off the computer, unpluggin the AC, inserting the battery and see if it turns on?

complain to worst buy...

You'd think the chassis would be able to handle a jolt.. but I guess it's really dry here. The battery is cheap, there are no buttons or light indicators whatsoever. The pins are recessed in plastic so I can't even see them. I don't think it's an issue with the laptop because it reads the OEM battery just fine. However this replacement battery they sent me looks to be a knockoff OEM battery. :(

The battery doesnt' get warm at all and provides no charge and does not get charged from what I can tell.

I have a Compaq V3019US and 6 weeks after I bought it, the battery went to crap in a similar but not exactly the same manner as yours did. I did the Live Chat with HP support and then they promptly sent me a replacement. When mine went out, it wasn't static electricity that caused it to my knowlege. It was just sort of random. The replacement battery was identical to the original and has not had a problem.

Back