• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using "two" soundcards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JackNSally

Ok, I was using my on board sound until the line-in stopped working. I bought a sound card but it doesn't have the connections for the front audio ports. Can I use the on board sound for the front panel connections and the sound card for my speakers and the line-in? I'm just wondering if this would cause conflicts and if it would work if there would be any configuration tips. Thanks for the help.

i use multiple soundcards, my XFi runs my surround sound, and my onboard goes to my headset(i use it for teamspeak only), typically the only conflicts are that you have to tell it which card you want to use as default, should only have to do that one time though

Yup I do the same thing :)

Some motherboards wil lhave a conflict so you have to change Onboard audio from Auto to Enabled. And as already mentioned, change your speaker card to "Default audio" then setup your individual apps to use the onboard (I do this for IM, VoiP apps, and DJing).

Is there any way I could have sound coming out of the sound card and the on board at the same time? Just want to have it setup so I could turn off speakers and plug the headphones in without having to change the setup of whatever I'm using.

JackNSally said:
Is there any way I could have sound coming out of the sound card and the on board at the same time? Just want to have it setup so I could turn off speakers and plug the headphones in without having to change the setup of whatever I'm using.

Yah, speaker out to line in and then use the power button on your speakers.

Neur0mancer said:
Yah, speaker out to line in and then use the power button on your speakers.

Use the speaker out from the sound card to the line in of the on board? The on board line in died.

Oh, the sound card I got is a Diamond Xtreme Sound 5.1.

just run a Y splitter from the main speaker port to your headphones and speakers...shutoff what your not using and you shouldn't have any problems or degredation.

Is there any way I could connect from a Y splitter to the front audio port? I really rather not have a cord running to the back, especially since I would probably have to use an extension. (headphone cord isn't that long)

Any ideas? My front panel audio connector has the block connector and the individual plugs. Any thoughts on how to connect from a Y splitter to the front audio splitter?

yeah if you want 5.1 or even 7.1 but dont have a sc that supports it you can use 2 scs and set it up like that :) but i love my x-fi so im cool haha

Back