• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only able to access certain websites...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

Using XP Pro SP2, all Updates applied.
I recently changed ISP.

I have a BT Voyager 240 ADSL Modem. Diagnostic Report from Modem

Test the connection to your local network
Test your Ethernet Connection: PASS

Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS
Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F4 end-to-end ping: PASS

Test the connection to your Internet service provider
Test PPP server connection: PASS
Test authentication with ISP: PASS
Test the assigned IP address: PASS
Ping default gateway: PASS
Ping primary Domain Name Server: PASS

Only allows connection to certain sites.
For instance, I can access www.google.co.uk but not google images. I can browse Wikipedia perfectly, but can't go to www.bbc.co.uk The majority of sites do not work.

My ISP seemed insistent that this was due to my security settings. Nothing has changed from when I was with my previous ISP so I don't see why. However, I was willing to listen. So removed any and all firewalls, lowered any security settings. Still not working.

At the moment I am using a Speedtouch 330 USB Modem provided by my ISP, which is allowing me full access at the moment, however, bittorent downloads are not working. And the line seems unstable, wild fluctuations in speed, and the line seems to go dead randomly. Fixing it then require multiple restarts or both computer and modem, aswell as disconnecting the phone line.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this, What is Test ATM OAM F4 segment ping?
I really want to use my router. Any questions of if I wasnt very clear please let me know. Thankyou

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion , unfortunately I was unable to connect. Still able to access google, and dailytech. Very little else. Pipex is being rather unhelpful.
Any other ideas? Modem still reports the above error, failing that part of the diagnostic test.

Using their USB Modem, although internet access is working. I am still unable to use any Bittorent Client, and I don't know why. Unable to connect to any Peers, do any downloading/uploading at all.

Have you tried scanning for spyware? I'd run ad-aware and spybot and make sure you're clean. Also, try checking your hosts file.

It can be found at C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Open it with notepad and make sure there's nothing funky.

I've made sure system is totally clean, I did have a couple virus's a couple days ago, but even after cleanup things aint workin. What would you classify as funky? Bittorent downloads are now working, albeit incredibly slowly over the USB Modem, still no luck with the Router...

Things have stabalised slightly. Bittorent over the USB works at night time. The router is now able to work in burst of 15minutes, then goes back to its picky ways. Still fails the diagnostic test. Anyone know why?

I have seen situations where after a virus attack, the systems were never the same and needed to be reinstalled.

Just because a system may be "clean" does not mean the system is as it was before the infection.

have you tried connecting it to the grey phone-box outside? (assuming this is dsl/phone line based). If not, try it. You may just have developed a noise problem in your home lines that you weren't aware of.

Things have now been sorted out. Update to the firmware of the Router seemed to fix most things. Then after 2 weeks the stability problems seem to have gone.

Back