• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To upgrade or Not to upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FOR3V3R

Registered
I've got an AMD X2 4600 right now overclocked to 2.8gigs. What i dont like about this pro is that it only has a 512 l2 cache. I really would like a pro with a 1MB cache so do I spent 200 dollars and get a 5200 which comes at 2.6gig with a 1MB L@ cache and just overclock it, or do I go all out and spend 400 dollars and get a fx-62 which come clocked at 2.8gig with a 1MB cache. How much of a gain do you'll think ill see for the money (or am I really just wasting my cash).....TYVM for the input

It will be going in a system which sports...
asus crosshair mobo
2 GIG corsair XMS2 PRO DDR2 800 pc6400 @4-4-4-12
Twin BFG 7900GTX in SLI
raptor 10000RPM HD
blah blah blah......:)

Thanks again for you input.....

Cache size on amd's makes very little difference . So since your cpu is clocked @ 2.8 already you will see little difference with your cpu vs a fx-60 . Save your money

The only reason I see getting the fx-62 is possibly hitting the 3ghz, but a few hundred extra mhz wont make to much of a difference. not for the money atleast.

yeah its no where near worth it to buy an fx62 just got an extra 512k of cache on each core, youd se more performance gain from something like selling both your 7900gtx's and picking up a 8800gtx or 2 8800gts's or something.

Yea neither of those options are really worth it, you would be wasting money for a performance increase you wouldn't notice.

I agree, stick with your current CPU.

If you really really really really really want the extra cache, go with the 5200 and OC it.

Cool TY for the input guess ill spend my money on something more useful like a PhysX card.....:)

Yea the PHYSX card is not the best investment right now as few games support it, and those that do don't really see any benefits from it. When games start doing the cool stuff they show in the demos, then it might be worth it, until then, I would hold off. Also by the time Physx takes off (if it does, seems most developers would rather do physics on multi-core cpus) they will have more affordable models available.

Why not buy one of those (forgot name) gaming LAN Cards. I read reviews on it and it really does boost FPS.

Or a really nice X-Fi sound card?

ps2cho said:
Why not buy one of those (forgot name) gaming LAN Cards. I read reviews on it and it really does boost FPS.

Or a really nice X-Fi sound card?

An ethernet card will not boost FPS, I saw the extremetech review and the FPS difference was 1-3 fps, this is within the margin of error (look at the variance between runs), and probably can be attributed to marginally lower CPU usage.

It did consistently drop lag times like 5-10ms, which is good, but for $250+? Perhaps if you were a professional it would be worthwhile.

That lan card is the biggest waste of money I have ever seen. It would be more prudent for me to put a spoiler on my Accord, because you know it really needs the downforce on those unpowered back wheels.

funnyperson1 said:
It would be more prudent for me to put a spoiler on my Accord, because you know it really needs the downforce on those unpowered back wheels.
LOL :beer:

The only reasonable upgrades are GFX and platform (cpu/mobo and ram) and possibly more and/or newer versions of raptors for Raid from looking at your rig.

Back