• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z77 or Z97 for upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

razorseal

Hey everyone,

My Asus P8P67 Pro mobo just died on my last week (SATA stuff) so I've been doing some serious research the past few days on what I need to do. I've concentrated on just upgrading to a Z97 (Asus Hero VII) with a 4790k but that setup right there would run me close to 600 bucks... I plan on upgrading the case and going from a Corsair H80 to a H100i. I also was going to put in a new GPU (MSI or Asus 970GTX) which I badly need. Thing is, this came unexpected and I really didn't plan on spending close to 1300 dollars for this right now.

So today I started thinking and thought to myself what if I just upgrade the mobo to a Z77 (ASRock Z77 Extreme 4) and keep my i5 2500k which I've succesfully OC'd to 5.1 on my previous rig (it runs high 4 ghz comfortably)

so I'm in a dilemma.... if I just update the mobo to a Z77 and stick with my i5 2500k, I'll be few generations behind, which means an update will soon be due (which means by then I will need to upgrade the GPU too I'm sure) if I just get the newest which is Z97 with i7 4790k, I will sort of future proof myself. if I decide to stick with the Z77 and my i5 2500K, I will be saving almost 600 dollars....

so if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Option 1:
Z77 mobo (ASRock Extreme 4)
i5 2500k OC'd
H80 cooler
GTX 970
OCZ ZT650
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD w/ WD Black 1TB storage
Corsair 760T or Be Quiet Silent Base 800 & Extra corsair AF120 fans
Total Cost: $620 - $660

Option 2:
Z97 mobo (Asus Hero VII)
i7 4790k OC'd
H100i cooler
GTX 970
Asus ROG Front Base
OCZ ZT650
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD w/ WD Black 1TB storage
Corsair 760T or Be Quiet Silent Base 800 & Extra corsair AF120 fans
Total cost: $1250-$1300

Here is what I do, I am constantly upgrading and evolving. You just make a list of things that need doing and get them done as you can afford them. Sometimes I have items I purchase and they sit for a bit and wait till I get the rest.

Example: my upgrade list say contains a new case, mobo, CPU, and memory I cant afford all of them at once so I do it over 3 months or so. I pick out the parts I want then purchase them one at a time over the coming months. If I have a small check for whatever reason I get one of the least expensive items on the list. It works for me and by the time you get to the end of your list it's time for a new list :D

With all that said I say option 1 save the 600 for now, Nothing wrong with the 2500, heck Im only 1 generation ahead of you and I love my CPU still !

Not to mention sometime this year I think in quarter 2 we will be seeing Intel Broadwell / Skylake hardware and boom your behind again. Personally I am waiting for the new generation and will make a decision to buy or hold at that time.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I'd go with option #1 right now get the upgraded, z97 motherboard and upgrade the gpu.
A new, and last haswell has been talked about so investing in a new cpu is not the best idea right now as you would be buying 2 to keep up to date.
the larger cooler would be good and it will move right along with you.

Thanks guys

Caddi, you mean get the upgraded Z97?

Anyone have experience with the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4? I really wanted to get a ROG mobo (Hero VII or Formula) but that won't happen if I stick with my i5 2500k

I'm curious on the potential of the ASR mobo. Once I OC, I usually don't touch it again. (I don't keep trying to get higher speeds)

The Extreme series has been pretty widely regarded as one of the best lines of motherboards in terms of price/performance. I'd say go for it.

Back