• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freaky_Llama

I have an Antec NeoPower 480W in my system, and its been decent for the past 2 years or so (maybe less).

Now, though, as its in a newer system, I've been having some stability issues.
First off, same issues exist at total stock speeds.
While I play Bf2, BF2142, or run cakewalk sonar, I get random freezes and sound loops.

my 7900GS is rated at a minimum of 20A, but my pus has 2 rails, 18A and 15A. That leavs about 13A for the rest of the system (2 SATA HDD, 1 DVD-RW, 1 80MM fan, and the front bay for the Audigy 2 ZS).

Does it seem like my system is underpowered amp wise? I'm not sure if the rest would consume 13A.

Thanks.

No, both are oc'ed, but it happens no matter what.

Proc: 2640MHz,
7900GS: 580MHz/1680MHz

I'm just out of IDea's on whats causing my issues. I've tried drivers, I've done moving cards to different slots.. I'm just at wits end and ready to go back to intel...

Freaky_Llama said:
my 7900GS is rated at a minimum of 20A
At stock speeds a 7900GS draw ~4A from 12V, with OC maybe 6A.
I ran an BFG 7900GS @600/1600 and a X2 3800+ @2.5GHz on S-12 430 flawless, so I'm pretty sure that your PSU is dying (caps probably).

Well, thanks for the advice, however, I am trying to not spend money unless I absolutely have to, I'm not old Professor Moneybags. I have no solid proof on anything at this time. I am only trying to narrow things down by getting help with troubleshooting, not trying to replace everything. Once thing I will do tonight is look for bulging caps.

Not to mention I'm sure the Best Buy receipt has detriorated, so RMA is not an option.

Last edited:
If you contact Antec anyways they may have mercy on you, they are aware of the problem (or rather a problem, the rep mentioned one cap when almost every cap in SN's psu is bulgin).

Of course you would need to try this before opening the PSU to look for bulging caps. If you can solder dong a recap might be a good option.

voltage from speedfan

I don't know how accurate they are since the 12v shows up in the 6v range, but how do these look?

12vba6.jpg

avccmp7.jpg

vcorejv5.jpg

Last edited:
The rails that are displaying properly seem fine, but I would definitely put a multimeter on the 12V rail to see what it actually is under load. Of course there could always be ripple that SpeedFan isn't detecting.

Back