• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU tripping circuit breaker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sprucemoose

So, I´ve had my system running flawlessly for almost 2 years now. Today, the circuit breaker in my home office suddenly tripped as my wife was inserting an iPhone charger in one of the outlets. However, after unplugging everything, flipping the breaker back on and putting each device back one by one, I realized that it was my computer that tripped the breaker. Disconnecting the PSU (Bequiet Dark Pro 11 850W) and testing it in a different room reproduced the same effect together with a big spark in the wall outlet.

Now, it is obvious that my PSU is busted, and I´m going to RMA it. However, I wonder if any of the other components in my computer could be the primary cause of this problem? I haven´t had any issues with the system so far, and there is no leaks or anything in my water cooling loops. The PSU is also mounted separate from any water cooling parts. Is it likely that a short in the PSU (I presume that´s what it is) is caused by other peripherals?

Read my post here --> https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/797667-How-to-tell-if-a-PSU-is-failing

Your PSU is most likely getting old and needs to be replaced. I have a PC right now that reboots after running for a few hours, so I'm going to be looking to get a new PSU.
You don't need to worry about the other components in your PC, as long as there id no fire (as Frankenstine would say "Fire bad" :)) Also if there was a short, you could see fire and or smoke.

edit: Was just thinking, what are you using your PC for? bit mining, F@H? Anyway I would up the PSU to a 1000W or higher, the less the PSU has to work the longer it will last.

I bought a new PSU (BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Platinum) while waiting for the RMA to go through, I'll just sell the other one when they ship me the replacement. Fired up the computer with no issues. Up and running, thanks for the replies!

@WhitehawkEQ: Didn't see your post until now. 850W should be "enough" headroom with a 2080Ti and a Ryzen 3900 as far as I know. I do mine, but I've lowered the target power draw significantly. The miner estimates the draw to 180W for the GPU alone.

Back