• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resale value of lapped CPUs...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Battle_Rattle

Registered
Do lapped CPUs sell well in forums or on ebay? Or are buyers untrusting and need to see the actual stepping on the chip?

I have an e6400 that I want to lap, but i resell my stuff to fund new projects... I wouldn't want a lapping to destroy any more than 30% of the resale value.

I see people sell chips around here for less cuz they are lapped compared to the same chip unlapped. I personally would never lap my chip if the lid is that warped send it back.

Rattle said:
I see people sell chips around here for less cuz they are lapped compared to the same chip unlapped. I personally would never lap my chip if the lid is that warped send it back.

A non leveled IHS is not that apparent, and the temp drops especially on intel can make it worth it.

Look at the second pic and notice how concaved that chip is... and thats an ES
http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?threadid=874

Anyone actually sold a lapped chip? And if you did, did it fetch a different price other than market average?

Yes, but lapping voids any warranties. So therefore the overall value to any joe that might want to buy it is decreased.

striker85 said:
Yes, but lapping voids any warranties. So therefore the overall value to any joe that might want to buy it is decreased.

so does overclocking...

I think it depends on the audience you're seling to. I've seen lapped cpu's go pretty quick in the classifieds over here. I think it would help to document any improvement in temps or OC before and after lapping.

overclocking may void intels warranty but what if you BUY one from compusa or frys or newegg. they dont say OC voids it... lapping will though.

Anyway just a point.

I dont mind buying lapped chips. I have bought two lapped conroes and lapped one myself. If someone laps it there are two possible reasons: it is because the IHS was terrible (+ for lapping) or they wanted to take their great over clocker even further (+ for great OC). Either way it is a plus

I definitely see nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:
I've sold a few Lapped CPU's in the section. No problem with resale value ran roughtly the same price that I sold normal CPU. Its a toss up some people don't want to bother with it, and will featch the higher price. But as said it totally voids any warrenty.

I lapped my e6300, but I don't think Ill have problems selling it in the classies (when that time comes)

How can a manufacturer tell if the chip was OCed? There is no hardware modifications that you need to do to unlock a chip or whatever (at least with my A64 3000+).

"Once the magic smoke comes out, you can't put it back in"

I say the same thing when someone asks me if they killed their subwoofer.

I always lap my cpu's i take a before and after photo, i have had no problems reselling them personally i would prefer to buy one that is lapped saves me doing it.

Rattle said:
overclocking may void intels warranty but what if you BUY one from compusa or frys or newegg. they dont say OC voids it... lapping will though.

Anyway just a point.

no, it voids the warranty.

but if you don't tell them they'll probably take it back, but thats not a very nice thing to do and i would never do that.

but i would buy a lapped processor if it was the right price. (as in below lowest retail price)

I have bought lapped CPU's. but never sold one..Mine usually die a horrible death, and cant be resold :)

When was the last time anyone actually killed an Intel CPU? Other than going beyond any kind of reasonable limit, like putting crazy voltage into it, I don't see why lapped should have much less resell value to a knowledgable audience like ocforums. The chances of having a legitimate warranty RMA are pretty slim imo as long as it works from the start and is handled properly to avoid ESD. eBay is another story of course :rolleyes:

Back