• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I make some good choices for first build and OC attempt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rider

Registered
As this is my first post I would like to begin by saying Hello to everyone. I just purchased the makings of a new system. It consists of:

-E4300
-Gigabyte 965p-s3 (received rev. 1)
-A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ADQPE1A16K
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
-Gigabyte 7600gs 256mb
-Corsair 520HX power supply
-Sony DVD rw burner

Any bad choices/potential conflicts here? Think that memory will OC a bit so I can push the E4300 past 333x9? Will it at least be stable at 333x9? Assuming the proc and MB will get that far.

This is my first build and will be my first attempt at overclocking. I hope these component choices work out well for a modest OC on my first try. I am treating this as a learning experience which is why I didn't go all out on the components. Bang for the buck doesn't hurt either!

The components are already bought and in hand so I cannot make changes at this time. I am just hoping it all will work out. Glad to have this forum as a reference and place to get help. I'm starting the build tomorrow, wish me luck!

Last edited:
Is that two WD drives or did you just write it twice accidentally?

The video card won't game too well, but I don't know what you're going to use your computer for. If you do want to play new games, I'd bump it up to an 8800gts if you have the cash or a 7900gt or something along those lines. If you are just using your computer for word processing, internet surfing, or office programs, it looks like a good build.

Oh yeah...and welcome to the forums.

excellent setup, you may want to consider a better video card though unless your not a big gamer. But I think you picked excellent budget components. The E4300 is a decent chip, I don't think you'll get it much past 333x9 though regardless of RAM or mobo unless your using water or phase change cooling.

Thank you for the welcomes. Yes I mistakenly listed the WD drive twice. It sounds like I did not do to bad with my choices which is a good thing. As far as the video card goes my idea was to start out with the card I have now and move up to a better directx 10 card as well as Vista in about a year, give or take. I do not do any gaming now because I am using a (gasp) Pentium 2 system at the moment with some ancient riva TNT vid card. I do plan on buying some games though. I figured the 7600gs would be just enough to get me into gaming. If it is inadequate I will have to move up quicker. I have not had a lot of time the last few days for the build but hopefully by tonight will try booting it up the first time. I can't wait it is going to be a HUGE improvement.

Also a Tuniq Tower is scheduled to arrive via UPS today :)

Last edited:
Back