• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help picking a cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireandice

So i got $260 for upgrades and i need help picking a cpu.

I got 1 gig of pc3200 memory and a 6800gt that i'll be useing in this rig so i pick a Asus P5PE-VM

Now should i go with a E4300 or spend the extra money and get a E6300? What CPU would fit best with my system? I dont plan on doing any overclocking on this rig but it will be water cooled and would the E6300 over clock better than the E6300 on this rig or would the E4300 do better? Im not expecting any records maybe a little oc to 2.0 or 2.2ghz max.

Im going from a Sempron runing daily at 1.8ghz "normaly 1.4 socket 754" so the proformance gain should be nice. Just looking for a new cpu and mobo to hold me off untill quad cores drop in price a little and DX10 comes out.

Why water cool if you dont want to OC? Also, id go with the 4300 then use the money left over to upgrade your ram to 2 GBs.

fireandice said:
So i got $260 for upgrades and i need help picking a cpu.

I got 1 gig of pc3200 memory and a 6800gt that i'll be useing in this rig so i pick a Asus P5PE-VM

Now should i go with a E4300 or spend the extra money and get a E6300? What CPU would fit best with my system? I dont plan on doing any overclocking on this rig but it will be water cooled and would the E6300 over clock better than the E6300 on this rig or would the E4300 do better? Im not expecting any records maybe a little oc to 2.0 or 2.2ghz max.

Im going from a Sempron runing daily at 1.8ghz "normaly 1.4 socket 754" so the proformance gain should be nice. Just looking for a new cpu and mobo to hold me off untill quad cores drop in price a little and DX10 comes out.

I am about to order parts some time this week, I am going with the e4300. Also, I would take the advice and get the memory as well.

fireandice said:
I dont plan on doing any overclocking on this rig but it will be water cooled and would the E6300 over clock better than the E6300 on this rig or would the E4300 do better? Im not expecting any records maybe a little oc to 2.0 or 2.2ghz max.

I'm somewhat confused by this....will you or will you not be overclocking? If not, i would spend as much as possible on the chip to get as high of a stock speed that you can.

If you WILL be overclocking, then you could easily go higher than 2.0 to 2.2. You can most likely hit 3Ghz on stock voltage and stock cooling. These chips are amazing overclockers.

I would go e6300, but a rev B2 if you can find one. The L2s that are out there right now aren't as good clockers nor run as cool as the B2s ( B2 = conroe, 1/2 the cache disabled, L2 = true Allendale with 2mb of cache ) As for the board, i don't know if your going to get a terribly good overclock out of it, if at all with the P5PE-VM... i've had friends & customers give me mixed results on that board.

~ Gos

Back