• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2D/3D autodetection and fan control on nvidia cards...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhobMX

Hi, i read the overclocking sticky and was glad to know rivatuner seemed to do the job.

I installed rivatunner and it wont work with 97.92 drivers since It wont save sepparate 2d/3d clocks for memory in the same profile, rendering the feature useless! Actually 2d/3d detection doesnt work since clock speeds and fan speed wont behave accordingly.

To my dismay, now that rivatuner has no further development plans i borked my fresh winxp registry for nothing (good to know i can clean it with the database the proggy made when i installed) so ill get rid of rivatuner.

My oc needs the cards fan to run at 100% at 3d and it would be nice to keep it silent on 2d mode. For now all i do is set the fan manually to 100% before gaming and switch it back down when i get out of the game but id really like a program to do it automatically just like atitool does.

Is there any program that can do de job for 8x00 series cards? ntune automatic mode does squat... fan speed wont go up no matter how hot the card is!

Thnx in advance

are your temps good when in 2d with ur oc... if so just have the fan speed vary with temps.

and if im not mistaken 8800 series dont have 2d / 3d clocks.

PhobMX said:
Hi, i read the overclocking sticky and was glad to know rivatuner seemed to do the job.

I installed rivatunner and it wont work with 97.92 drivers since It wont save sepparate 2d/3d clocks for memory in the same profile, rendering the feature useless! Actually 2d/3d detection doesnt work since clock speeds and fan speed wont behave accordingly.

To my dismay, now that rivatuner has no further development plans i borked my fresh winxp registry for nothing (good to know i can clean it with the database the proggy made when i installed) so ill get rid of rivatuner.

My oc needs the cards fan to run at 100% at 3d and it would be nice to keep it silent on 2d mode. For now all i do is set the fan manually to 100% before gaming and switch it back down when i get out of the game but id really like a program to do it automatically just like atitool does.

Is there any program that can do de job for 8x00 series cards? ntune automatic mode does squat... fan speed wont go up no matter how hot the card is!

Thnx in advance

8800GTX's do not use split 2D/3D clocks in stock trim. The 7800 and 7900' did but only on the
core. The memory always runs at the same clock speed in 2D/3D modes.

Only when OC'ing with an OC tool that supports setting split clocks (RivaTuner and ATItool) will
you end up with split 2D/3D core clocks on an 8800 but your memory will still always run and
keep the same clock speed once it has changed in any operating mode...until you change it
again manually.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
8800GTX's do not use split 2D/3D clocks in stock trim. The 7800 and 7900' did but only on the
core. The memory always runs at the same clock speed in 2D/3D modes.

Only when OC'ing with an OC tool that supports setting split clocks (RivaTuner and ATItool) will
you end up with split 2D/3D core clocks on an 8800 but your memory will still always run and
keep the same clock speed once it has changed in any operating mode...until you change it
again manually.

Viper

ill have to double check, because i recall loading cs:s and i didnt hear the fan clocking up even if i set it to go 100% speed on 3d mode, also i checked the log and the core speed wouldnt budge... ill repost my findings...

PhobMX said:
ill have to double check, because i recall loading cs:s and i didnt hear the fan clocking up even if i set it to go 100% speed on 3d mode, also i checked the log and the core speed wouldnt budge... ill repost my findings...

The fan speed setting routines in drivers are screwed up on the 8800's. The best way to speed
the fan up is to use RT final and select Customize - Low Level Settings (first Icon on the left)
then set the fan speed manually (lock it up where you want it.) This programs the fan
speed directly in the cards hardware and bypasses the buggy driver routines.

Viper

Last edited:
ViperJohn said:
The fan speed setting routines in drivers are screwed up on the 8800's. The best way to speed
the fan up is to use RT final and select Customize - Low Level Settings (first Icon on the left)
then set the fan speed manually (lock it up where you want it.) This programs the fan
speed directly in the cards hardware and bypasses the buggy driver routines.

Viper

okay, i got rid of rivatuner for good.

I just clocked my card with ntune with auto fan speed and it never went up either... guess it doesnt need it because i played smoothly.

Last edited:
they both work fine for fan control I dont know what issue your having but theres 2 places to change fan speed in RT, viper described the correct place and you were still in the wrong place. Ntune works for fanspeed but its a POS worthless NV program, you should have stuck with RT.
Ntune you have to hit apply a couple times for the fan speed to take, and you may not here it if there's alot of noise alreasy in your room cuz its not that loud, the program tells you anyway lol

Rattle said:
they both work fine for fan control I dont know what issue your having but theres 2 places to change fan speed in RT, viper described the correct place and you were still in the wrong place. Ntune works for fanspeed but its a POS worthless NV program, you should have stuck with RT.
Ntune you have to hit apply a couple times for the fan speed to take, and you may not here it if there's alot of noise alreasy in your room cuz its not that loud, the program tells you anyway lol

i got rid of rivatuner because there are not going to be updates for quite a time, apparently the author took a vacation

I did try low lever rivatuner fan control and it does work... i just got rid of it because of the lack of support and memory/registry clogging. ntune does the job well.

lol your all wrong about the "support and memory/registry clogging" dude
the guy is on vacation ... RT will work with any driver now that it has 8800 support so thats not an issue.... its also one of the cleanest programs out there and made with keeping the registry clean in mind.

Ntune is what you should be worried about.

Rattle said:
lol your all wrong about the "support and memory/registry clogging" dude
the guy is on vacation ... RT will work with any driver now that it has 8800 support so thats not an issue.... its also one of the cleanest programs out there and made with keeping the registry clean in mind.

Ntune is what you should be worried about.

Second. I've tried using Ntune back in the day and it only caused borkness.

can you guys point out any specific problems with ntune? asside with the flickering of the buttons in ntune menu... It just sounds logical that if it integrates with ForceWare it wouldnt mess up the registry, i can be mistaken tho.

I did a 3dmark06 run and i got the highest score for any similar system to mine... that using ntune. Have in mind i have a fresh xp/driver/ntune install with the lastest versions. I dont see a problem since im very picky with my computer and my performance doesnt degrade over time due to software problems.

PhobMX said:
i got rid of rivatuner because there are not going to be updates for quite a time, apparently the author took a vacation

I did try low lever rivatuner fan control and it does work... i just got rid of it because of the lack of support and memory/registry clogging. ntune does the job well.

RT has by far the smallest memory foot print compared to nTune. It is also stable which nTune is not.
You got rid of the good OC tool and kept the crap lol.

Viper

nTune=POS. Rivatuner is awkward at first but once you understand how it works it's by far the best oc tool. nTune has a pretty heafty process that runs and chews up memory like 24MB or something absurd.

I have RivaTuner set up on my 8800 to run 2d at 400/2000 and 3d at 650/2000. My card runs around 32*C when in 2d and around 65* in 3d. I also have my fan set to run at 60-80-100% based on core temp. below 50* it's set to run 60%, and 80% between 55-62* and over 62 it's 100%. I kept the hardware monitor up all the time and I can confirm that 2d-3d detection works. Their is also a level between 2d-3d that I don't know how to make work but it's set to default speeds and it does run their at times but only for like 5-10 seconds at a time when I'm switching between 3d and 2d apps.

I wish I would have never installed nTune. Not only worthless but I'm sure my registry is full of crap. And on a fresh install. Well just gives me more reason to do another fresh install once I get my RAID 5 array going.

alright
rivatuner got reinstalled in the end... stupid ntune wouldnt save overclock settings after a reboot!

yeah, and i feel bad i bloated my registry for nothing

Back