• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raptor for boot drive or dedicated "game drive"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ogerx

so.. I have a 320g barracuda on the way.. will prolly end up reformatting after it comes cause things are seeming pretty slow lately... been around a year since I've reformatted.. just wondering what you people would recommend for a drive setup?..

I find it pretty F'ing amazing how slow game/app loading gets just from "time" and installing junk etc on windows...(seriously.. for an example.. I go from being the first in game in bf2 on a fresh reformat to getting in the game after half the daym map has already been captured and people already have kills...)
I have yet to find a way to speed things up with a windows install other than reformatting... (defrag/reg cleaning forget it...)

have the 74g raptor as my main disk atm with some games on it.. and a 120 deskstar.. games seem equally slow loading from either atm.. think it would be better to use a partition on the new 320g as a boot drive and the raptor for games "only" or no?

I use a 74 gb for os, programs, and some games. I have a 150gb for the rest of the games and a 500 caviar for misc data.

I just installed a 36GB Raptor for boot/programs. I notice a huge difference when it comes to loading games. It feels like the times are almost cut in half. I ran a WD 80GB IDE drive before.

well.. "seeming pretty slow lately" was kinda a understatement... finally reformatted yesterday.. decided to do a couple before and after benchmarks..

raptor before reformat:
raptorbefore.JPG

raptor after reformat:
raptorafter.JPG

and the 320 barracuda..(before and after stayed about the same)
fattydrive.JPG

the raptor still seems kinda low oh well..
(but WOW the before speeds and cpu usage... argh windows)

Last edited:
Ogerx said:
well.. "seeming pretty slow lately" was kinda a understatement... finally reformatted yesterday.. decided to do a couple before and after benchmarks..

raptor before reformat:
[-IMG]http://home.comcast.net/~xergo/raptorbefore.JPG[/IMG]

raptor after reformat:
[-IMG]http://home.comcast.net/~xergo/raptorafter.JPG[/IMG]

and the 320 barracuda..(before and after stayed about the same)
[-IMG]http://home.comcast.net/~xergo/fattydrive.JPG[/IMG]

the raptor still seems kinda low oh well..(but WOW the before speeds.. argh windows)

Crikey, that's way low.....you should defrag :)

Even the after #'s seem a bit low, the transfer speeds and the latency. :shrug:

Defrag dude!
Get diskeeper 2007 pro premium and never get that pathetic fragmentation state again.
You must also keep at least 20% of the drive free or windows performance totally blows.

Telstar said:
You must also keep at least 20% of the drive free or windows performance totally blows.

Ok, now that makes no sense....

thideras said:
Ok, now that makes no sense....
I free'd up 45gig on the drive before reformatting and tried the benchmark and still got the same 9-10megs a sec.. so dunno if I believe that one either.. I understand how the stuff on the "end" of the drive will be slower though..

anyway I changed my out look on defragging... only took hundreds of reformats over 10 years or so to get a clue there..:bang head
(after a fresh format and like nothing on the drive reinstalled yet I still found it 35% fragmented already ...)

Back