• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD Backlight Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KEBunny

Registered
Here's my issue, I have an HP zx5280us Notebook (15 inch widescreen lcd). The lcd hasn't been working for quite a while now, so I've been using an external monitor. What happens is as soon as I turn it on, the lcd has the startup picture on it, then cuts out a half second later.
I think the issue is in the inverter and not a burnt out lcd backlight as I originally thought.

Is there any way I can replace it and have it work with existing components without having to get an external adapter?

The inverter is ALMOST always located at the bottom of the screen under the trim panel. If you can get the trim panel off by removing the screws under the rubber pads and then using moderate force to pull the panel off from the clips holding it on then you will see it. You can then get the part number off of it and check out ebay and google to see if you can find a replacement somewhere. Its a pretty simple procedure. Also from your description that sounds like the problem exactly.

I replaced the inverter in a desktop LCD's back lights with an inverter for cold cathodes and it worked great. I realize your situation is a little different because it is a notebook but its something to investigate.

Back