• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dvd-rom ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squashfx

ok guys i got $50 bucks! and i need a new dvd-rom.... i want the best and fastest i can buy :).. is sata any faster then ide when it comes to dvd-roms? i notice some say 16x some say 20x whats the diffrence?? and what should i get?

20x is faster than 16x but your not going to see much difference over all. Get the best brand named 20x you can afford.

Asus
Lite-on
Sony
Plextor.

Plextor ftw.

well i only have a cdrw but its a plextor and its really nice. had it for over 2 year and no problems. when i get a dvd room "pretty soon." i'll snag up a 20X plextor.

fireandice said:
Plextor ftw.

well i only have a cdrw but its a plextor and its really nice. had it for over 2 year and no problems. when i get a dvd room "pretty soon." i'll snag up a 20X plextor.
i would get a plexor but its like $100

If I were in the market for a sub-$50 DVD burner, I'd go for http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151141 without a doubt. Samsung's track record is very good, and the SATA interface is a big plus (not because of speed, but because the cables are so nice and tidy). 16x-20x won't be a huge difference because it's largely dependent on the media on which you're writing, and considering most blank DVD media is around 16x right now, that's what you'll be burning at.

Asus burners are pretty sweet :) Plextors are overpriced for what they are IMHO. We're in the age of disposable technology, i just get whatever works... and if it breaks, i'll either RMA it, or toss it if i don't want to bother with it. I can't justify spending more than 50 bucks on a burner.

~ Gos

my vote for the pioneer's never had any trouble with the 4 ide and now sata . i have only used the sata for about a week now...

squashfx said:
does anyone recomend a specific one?

Fangs404 said:
If I were in the market for a sub-$50 DVD burner, I'd go for http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151141 without a doubt. Samsung's track record is very good, and the SATA interface is a big plus (not because of speed, but because the cables are so nice and tidy). 16x-20x won't be a huge difference because it's largely dependent on the media on which you're writing, and considering most blank DVD media is around 16x right now, that's what you'll be burning at.

Krome said:
I'd like to know as well.
No.

Its the same way with HDs, SATA doesnt make them any faster, it just makes for one less possible bottleneck in the future. None of the current optical drives can come close to saturating the SATA or PATA bus.

Back