• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WARNING

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imposter

Warning to those that use windows updates. NEVER i mean never check off graphic driver updates through windows updates. It messes up your pc and causes nasty things. it made me use system restore for once =P. this has failed my friends and i 0239482039482035times =P

:beer:

I never get card updates through MS, usually only security/MS-software updates. And I always find when reinstalling XP the built in drivers are from the SP2 release era.

I haven't had any problems w/ the VC drivers downloaded using Automatic Updates for Vista x86 or x64. The latest drivers downloaded by AU are the same WHQL v100.65 drivers as can be downloaded directly from nVidia. After a clean install of Vista, I just let AU download and install the latest drivers for my 8800 GTS... and as of yet haven't run into any issues.

Only security updates for me. I barely use windows anymore, but I've had one of those graphic drivers do that to me before...

redduc900 said:
I haven't had any problems w/ the VC drivers downloaded using Automatic Updates for Vista x86 or x64. The latest drivers downloaded by AU are the same WHQL v100.65 drivers as can be downloaded directly from nVidia. After a clean install of Vista, I just let AU download and install the latest drivers for my 8800 GTS... and as of yet haven't run into any issues.

Same here, no problem for me when AU updated my A9550 drivers, works fine.

Well it acts like the driver is not installed and real pain to get it working again. Maybe the fact that its a dell poses a issue =P. My school has all dells and the pc that went messed up were all dells so i guess the fact that it is a dell messes everything up.

automatic updates...:rolleyes: These days I gladly disable that "feature".

I got sick and tired of my computer automatically rebooting Wednesday mornings, and as far as Windows Update goes it always wants to install some c-media audio drivers for the built-in sound on my Lanparty-B board, which of course if I allow Microsoft to do so will disable the sound....BTDT microsoft. :rolleyes:

One of our clients had a strange and intermittent BSOD problem, VIA's download for the chipset/IGP said "no hardware compatible..." (no really I found the right thing... no really its file name was the chipset.) Windows update had the driver however, problem solved, strange how one PC would never boot and the others were just sporadic but it was a buggy old driver.
However I did once goose a diel-up modem with windows update, before the days of role back driver, had to get a floppy disk (Remember them?) and go to an internet cafe.

Maybe because I've been doing this so long, but....I never do automatic updates. I DL them and install each individually, rebooting each time. That way, if there is a bad update(and from MS there have been many) I can uninstall if necessary.

Back