• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN disconnects when idle.. need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bboyfobulous

I have an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe and am using the marvell yukon ethernet controller that comes with it. I have had this problem for the last 3 months and have been trying to figure out what the problems is. I've switched ISP's and routers many times. I've come to the conclusion that it is somehow my NIC on the mobo. The only time I can get my internet working consistantly is when there is constant network traffic(i.e. having a big d/l on bittorrent and such). When the connection is idle, the computer still says it is connected but I cannot access any webpages or anything else that accesses the internet. When I 'repair' the conection everything is fine again. I've looked up fixes and have yet to find anything that helps. does anyone have the slightest idea?!?:confused:

Something to do with this maybe?

untitled2121.GIF

yes, its a vonage router...linksys RTP300 ...wired

my PS3 is connected to the router as well and never loses signal so i am assuming it has to do something with the pc. That and my phone service never disconnects. So everything up to the router works fine.

also when it is 'disconnected' i can't even ping the router ...

any ideas?

Last edited:
maybe you have a setting in the router to expire the connection when idle. I know I could do that with mine. Are you using DNS or static IPs?

At work we have a similar problem that arises from "standby" mode. If a machine goes into standby, all applications connected to our network fail to work even though the machine is still connected. We correct this by turning off "standby". You can have the monitor shutdown, hard drives, etc but no standby.

Hope that helps.

Also have you tried using the NVIDIA Network Adapter, I knw that my Marvell adapter slows my speeds but NVIDIA works great.

Skeith said:
maybe you have a setting in the router to expire the connection when idle. I know I could do that with mine. Are you using DNS or static IPs?

Keep Alive: Redial Period 45 secs

that's the only thing i see for anything like that. and i'm on DNS, but do you mean DHCP or static IP ?

don256us said:
At work we have a similar problem that arises from "standby" mode. If a machine goes into standby, all applications connected to our network fail to work even though the machine is still connected. We correct this by turning off "standby". You can have the monitor shutdown, hard drives, etc but no standby.

This happens when i'm actively using the computer. it doesn't go to standby.

mils128 said:
Also have you tried using the NVIDIA Network Adapter, I knw that my Marvell adapter slows my speeds but NVIDIA works great.

i haven't tried that yet. been really busy and tired this week. will try that. But also want to fix the marvell adapter if it's broken or configured incorrectly.

Skeith said:
make sure you turn off any wake on lan settings, those have caused me problems in the past.

all of them? there is a ...

wake up from shutdown: on/off

and

wake up capabilities: link change/magic packet/none/magic packet & pattern match/pattern match

just checked out the NVIDIA LAN controller and the disconnect problems occurs on it too. maybe it is the router??? or both maybe configured incorrectly or broken ?? is there a way to check this?

i tried that...and yes it does disconnect

[update] i just played PS3 online for about 4-5 hours with no disconnect at all.. it was laggy at some points but not enough to disrupt what i was doing. So it has to be in my computer. bah this is so frustrating [/update]

Last edited:
Back