• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Laptop, 386Mbps Down, Slow Internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

I just snagged an Asus VivoBook S 14X S5402Z and I love everything about it except for the internet.

I first noticed that it was slow when I was trying to look at hotel images on google. Then, I went to YouTube and noticed the thumbnails loaded slowly and it put me on 480p instead of 1080p. When I test the download speed on the laptop it's at >350Mbps which is plenty, so I'm confused. The odd thing is, most sites seem to load fine. It's almost like Google ia angry with me and anything they own isn't working well for some reason. Or maybe the other sites I've tired are just easier to load. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Tough to track this down... maybe update the wifi drivers and see if that helps? Doyou have ad blockers on? Does this happen when using other browsers?

What about the browser? Tried a different one?

What's the internet speed you're supposed to be getting?

Happens with all browsers. I'm getting the right speeds on speed tests. My desktop gets ~400, this machine gets ~375

So, you're supposed to get 400, getting 375/386 wifi? Can't say there's a problem with that? I get 400 mbps down from ISP and my wireless, a wifi 6/6e (phone and laptop) tends to get slightly less than my wired machine too.

That said, If sites are loading slow, maybe check your hops out and do a traceroute and see what's happening?

Edit: worth noting, I thought during the pandemic YT lowered the default playback to 480p. Not sure if that's still going on or not though...

Last edited:
That's what I mean. The down speed is completely fine. Honestly, I'd be fine if it was only 100 down. The load times are just bad.
How do I do hops out/traceroute?

After some more testing, it's just youtube and google that run slowly. Images on bing and videos on vimeo load fine. Comparing to my old laptop, youtube videos run about 1/4th the speed though. Could my ISP be throttling google stuff? But then if it was my ISP, I guess my other laptop would go slowly too. I'm very confused.
Any idea what these are?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-27 071913.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-27 071913.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Those look like nodes inside Charter's network. It SHOULDN'T be an issue, though. Do you have your own wifi router or are you using their supplied wifi router? Also, just out of curiosity, do you get the same results from private/incognito mode? With you seeing this on the 2 major browsers, I'm inclined to rule out browser settings/cache, but just curious.

Last check is to try rebooting your router. Granted only google-related network traffic is affected, it could clear out some weird glitch in your wifi connection.

Sorry for the terribly late reply.
After updating everything else I realized I didn't give the bios update a try. That fixed the issue.

Back