• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me with GPU insulation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raizy

I am going to pelt cool a GeForce 7600 GS with an 80W Pelt. I have been reading guides on insulation but most of them are based on CPU/Socket insulation. I found a few guides that explained for just GPU. I am confused about some areas.

This is the guide I followed: http://www.xoxideforums.com/thermal-electric-phase-change/65060-guide-peltier-9800-xt.html

So basically:

1. Cut shapes out from the Neoprene rubber so it fits over the GPU and the cutted holes should be large enough for the cold plate, the TEC, and the waterblock to fit into. In my case; I am just going to buy a pre-cut neoprene kit. I will study/inspect what it should look like so for future assembling I'll know what to do.

2. Use conformal coating to seal around GPU area confusing part

3. While conformal coating is still wet, stick the neoprone on it and let it dry so it sticks together.

Questions:

1. I guess I don't need dielectric grease ?? That grease is only used for CPU socket insulation right? It goes inside the the socket holes where the CPU pins go into ?

2. What if the cutted out holes are a bit too big for the Coldplate/TEC/and waterblock to fit into ?

---------------------

3. For the neoprene cutting, should I use two different layers? One for the Cold plate and TEC, and then put conformal coating over that. THEN cut out another layer of neoprene so it fits on the water block, and stick that on top of the previous neoprene that is surrounding the TEC?

I all fails...I should just overclock the card so the temp's are always above ambient temps. :D

Last edited:
DE normaly goes in the socket yes, but you can use it if you wish.

cut them a bit small.. its quite flexable.

confomal coating seals out air quite well, is there something confusing about that product or were to get it?

It gets confusing because I am not sure whether Dielectric grease was actually needed, also whether the dielectric grease sticks, gets hard, or whatever. Now about the Conformal coating, I'm not sure how it actually worked. Now i know though, it is the one that gets hard; also it makes the neoprene stick to the PCB ?

Conformal coating is the main sealer? (putting it in corners) ?

What kind of block are you using?

You need to cut out pieces of neoprene that fit around the block and also allow you to seal around the block and the card. Most neoprene you buy is sticky on one side to allow you stick it down to things.

Then you will probably need a piece of two of neoprene on the back of the card.

Thats all I ever found I need for insulation on my 6800nu and my 7600GS with a 172w pelt.

this might help you visualize how it should look
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26276

DE os ratter stiff it needs tp be heated a bit to get down into the LGA sockets that are used now.
Im sure it would stick if it was still tacky (in the drying process)

Im still trying to wrap my head around how low wattage the pelt is.. I would think a 150W would do a much better job.

greenmaji said:
DE os ratter stiff it needs tp be heated a bit to get down into the LGA sockets that are used now.
Im sure it would stick if it was still tacky (in the drying process)

Im still trying to wrap my head around how low wattage the pelt is.. I would think a 150W would do a much better job.

An 80w pelt will do just fine for his application. I could get down to 0 °c core temp on my 7600gs with an 80w pelt no problem. You are overestimating the heat load of his GPU massively.

Remember 80w is around the heat dump of a x6800 at stock speeds and a 7600GS is nowhere at near that hot.

Here, let me give you some tried and tested advice bro. You don't have to fill the top of the GPU substrate. Just brush "lightly" the exposed resistors with dielectric grease and then TIM your core and bolt on the cooling head. For the area around the GPU top and bottom, just use closed cell foam that has one side sticky with adhesive. You can buy the closed cell foam from Lowe's or Home Depot. This is what I have done for the last 2 yrs and have never lost a card due to condensation. But high voltage is any matter...LOL! :bday:

Thats good to hear guys.. just wanted to make sure the OP wouldn't be disapointed with the results :thup:

Yeah... I was planning on OCing it to GT speeds, maybe even faster?? o

khriez said:
Yeah... I was planning on OCing it to GT speeds, maybe even faster?? o

If you going to the length of using pelts and insultation....push it as hard as you can!!! :bday:

gt speeds with ddr2 is really impossible, but core speeds up to GT should be easily achieved. you could probably hit like 600 core 24/7 with ease. i wouldnt put it past those cores. your volt modding too right??

With that little pelt all you need is a 3-4" square piece if 1/4" insulation on the back of the card over the core in addition to insulation supplied with the block. No grease in the PCIe or conformal coatings are required for this application.

I got the the core at 670 Mhz and the Memory is at 460 Mhz. I read some reviews and a lot of them are having trouble getting over 480 Mhz even with volt mods. It's too bad that increasing the memory yields the most performance gains over core increases (correct me, and perhaps make me feel better...)

It's Pencil modded to 1.45V (Core only, Mem is stock Voltages) right now. I'm going to run ATI scan for artifacts overnight and hope for the best. I got artifacts within 10 mins but the temp was only 25 °C at 470 Mhz mem, I decreased it to 460 Mhz and I hope it's stable.

I benchmarked fear and results saved to a document. Then I had to reformat my Hard drive for trying a new bios >.< :bang head

If it's idle stock, 0°C to 2°C temperatures. Didn't check for max load temperature at stock, but it's in the 20-25°C at 670/460 Core/Mem.

My goal is overclock so much that I get over ambient temperatures so I don't have to worry about condensation during summer :D I don't think it's possible though i'd probably need like 2V Core voltages. I am not sure what the safest upper limits for Vcore for the GPU. Also I am not sure if leaving memory at 460 Mhz will allow me to Overclock the core any higher than 670 Mhz. HELP ME !? :)

Back