• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrading a 7950 GX2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

My situation is as follows:

-At the moment I'm only really playing BF2 and STALKER and maybe the odd game of CnC3 and it easily maxes out the first and I'm satisfied by it's performance on the latter two.

-However I wouldn't mind giving Crysis and Alan Wake a shot when they come out.

-My other hardware is in my sig (the CPU should have more headroom if required).

-In about 3-4 months I'm leaving the UK for Canada and I'll be doing a reasonable performance build when I get there.

Should I sell my card (they are still worth quite a bit ~£200-230 in the UK) and pick up an 8800 of some description, or should I just stick with it for now? I'm asking because I'm getting this urge to spend money and I think it's clouding my normally quite balanced judgement.

>HyperlogiK< said:
I'm asking because I'm getting this urge to spend money and I think it's clouding my normally quite balanced judgement.

Wow...I'm going through the same thing HyperlogiK :bang head . The GX2 has performed and is performing superbly still in everything I've thrown at it (except vista :mad: ). I'd say if vista hadn't come out and Crysis wasnt coming out I wouldn't even think about upgrading. The 88xx's are awesome and all but as I said my GX2 hasn't flinched.

Personally, I've been hovering over submit order buttons for 8800GTX for a month now...mainly in anticipation of Crysis (those dame trailers are gorgeous). I'm trying really hard to wait til there's some kind of release date. The GX2 I'm sure will do fine with anything that hits the market (until then :beer: )

Wow... what I'd give to be in the situation of having THAT card which was the absolutely top-end $550-$600 card just last summer/fall and already contemplating upgrading....

Some of you guys just blow me away with how often you all drop sick amounts of money to ensure your PCs are nothing short of state-of-the-art. :rolleyes:

Well I couldnt take it anymore. Put some duckets down on the eVGA 8800GTX ACS3. The X2900s dont look like they were or will be worth waiting for anymore, and the shody vista drivers for the GX2 are getting old :(

I was in the same situation you are..
I was waiting for ATI, but it seems, it will take a while until something more powerfull than the 8800 gtx hit the streets, so I'm tired of waiting and I ordered today my XFX 8800 gtx :rolleyes:

Wow... what I'd give to be in the situation of having THAT card which was the absolutely top-end $550-$600 card just last summer/fall and already contemplating upgrading....

Some of you guys just blow me away with how often you all drop sick amounts of money to ensure your PCs are nothing short of state-of-the-art

Well its true.. but see for this perspective.. I don't smoke.. :D so I'm allowed to have some other expensive hobby.. :santa:

And the "old" hardware is worth always something.. It pays between 30-50% of the new one..

Caviman2201 said:

Some of you guys just blow me away with how often you all drop sick amounts of money to ensure your PCs are nothing short of state-of-the-art. :rolleyes:

We all have different priorites in life, and we're all in different financial situations. Doesn't make one person better than the other. It only means that some of us are good throwing too much money into a hobby. :)

Oh, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying that your priorities aren't in order or that I'm somehow "better" than you because I spend less on my PC.

If anything, I wish I had that hair-trigger finger when I get on newegg...

Unfortunately I've been cursed with second, third or fourth-guessing myself whenever I go to make a purchase for a hobby of mine asking myself if I really need it. I go on newegg every single day and eyeball 320MB 8800 GTS's for $280 but just can't pull the trigger. It isn't that I can't afford it... its that I don't NEED it and would feel like I got it just for bragging rights. My peppy little 7600GT runs nearly every game out right now at 1280x1024 w/ decent framerate as long as I don't go crazy w/ AA or AF...

Anyways, kudos on not having my curse and enjoy your new 8800 :beer:

I didn't take any offense myself...though my rig is far from "state of the art". As I said though, my main reasons for the upgrading are buggy vistaness on the GX2 and Crysis. Crysis doesnt look like it will release until Sept though...oh welll...

It's really sad seeing how "out of date" the rest on my rig is...the Opty has been a champ but it's clearly a bottleneck now :(. Cant pull the trigger on a C2D setup yet tho...waiting for "K10" and/or Peryn.

Back