• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GS 1st Time OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thund3rball

I attempted my 1st OC. I used ATI Tool, it's really easy. I can't say for sure how stable my clocks are yet and I have not set the OC permanent, I need better cooling. But here's what I got so far.

Core Clock Stock - 450MHz
Core Clock OC - 605MHz, Temp - 81C (after 1 hour in ATI Tool w/no errors).

Mem Clock Stock - 660MHz
Mem Clock OC
- 1st time I crashed at 958MHz. I only backed off the Core OC 15MHz when getting my Max Mem Clock. My temps went crazy and I think this is the wrong way to do it.
- 2nd time I set my Core Clock to stock and got 900MHz Mem Clock with no problems or crazy temps (Temp fluctuated between 76C - 81C.). I know I can get more but I ran out of time.

I can't wait to get my Zalman VF900-CU to bring my temps down and really see what happens :cool: . What do you guys think?

I have done no testing with these settings yet, other than ATI Tool. I think my temps are pretty high so I am getting a cooler this week. Then we'll see what happens. Anyone else have any experience with this card? I am curious to see if I am going overboard/underboard or am in the range?

Thund3rball said:
I have done no testing with these settings yet, other than ATI Tool. I think my temps are pretty high so I am getting a cooler this week. Then we'll see what happens. Anyone else have any experience with this card? I am curious to see if I am going overboard/underboard or am in the range?

That frequency seems just OK, I'm running 715 Mhz on your same core. I think if you can get lower temperatures, you might gain some extra Mhz.

Love you avatar BTW.

dan

That frequency seems just OK, I'm running 715 Mhz on your same core. I think if you can get lower temperatures, you might gain some extra Mhz.

Love you avatar BTW.

dan

Thanks for the feedback. I hope the temps come down enough to make a difference.

Glad you like my Avatar :cool: BTW... you can buy my avatar as a t-shirt here:
http://www.cafepress.com/limegrenade/799902.

Here's the homepage: www.limegrenade.com

[ Sameless Plug :bday: ]

That seems to be good I'm doing the same thing and running the core at 600MHz, and Memory at 875ish, depends when I get the artifacts, if it goes to around 80C is that fine for operation? Does this simulate close to gaming testing?

That seems to be good I'm doing the same thing and running the core at 600MHz, and Memory at 875ish, depends when I get the artifacts, if it goes to around 80C is that fine for operation? Does this simulate close to gaming testing?

Yes your temps are inline with mine. With stock cooling I was getting 81c using ATITool to find my max core clock. With a Zalman VF900 on, I hit 47c doing the same thing. I would highly suggest getting 3rd party cooling.

Ya my in-game temps are similar to using ATITool. Depends...

Update: My 7900GS has been running at 630MHz core / 906MHz memory for days while gaming. Lookin fine too :cool: !

580/840

3Dmark06
1571 = SM 2.0
1924 = HDR
2073 = CPU

Stable in high 60C, card won't push any farther so looks like I'm stuck here, I pushed it to 4509 Marks, but it had 1 or 2 artifacts during the test, so I'm leaving it a little lower.

Last edited:
580/840

3Dmark06
1571 = SM 2.0
1924 = HDR
2073 = CPU

Stable in high 60C, card won't push any farther so looks like I'm stuck here, I pushed it to 4509 Marks, but it had 1 or 2 artifacts during the test, so I'm leaving it a little lower.

I get some flashing yellow pixels in ATiTool. Never seen anything in benches and games though. Stable at 49c.

I'm pretty sure those dots are data that is being misread/produced. Which is bad for your card. Define "some"

I'm pretty sure those dots are data that is being misread/produced. Which is bad for your card. Define "some"

I get a just a few and only in ATiTool, but if it's not cool at all I am going to try and find the sweet spot - ala no dots. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

OK I was way optimistic w/my 1st ever OC :p That's what 1st ever OC's are for right? Finally got stable clocks w/NO dots. Scanned for Artifacts for 1 hour in ATiTool at this setting :beer:

613/862

3DMark Score 5386 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 2245 Marks
SM 3.0 Score 2231 Marks
CPU Score 1779 Marks

Take a look at my 7900gs unmodded 3dmark 05 scores i hit near 5000+ in 06 and on fresh install i have crept to around 6000 >

05 results here >

Sorry for small picture,photobucket cropped it score is 10518 and top place in similar systems clocks are 694/891

top7900gs.jpg

Last edited:
Oc1Kenube said:
Take a look at my 7900gs unmodded 3dmark 05 scores i hit near 5000+ in 06 and on fresh install i have crept to around 6000 >

05 results here >

Sorry for small picture,photobucket cropped it score is 10518 and top place in similar systems clocks are 694/891

top7900gs.jpg

WOW No volt mod and your running 694/891 on 3DMark :thup: . What do you use to OC your card? Do you get any artifacts in ATiTool at those clocks? What is your CPU score? Is it OC'd too?

I can't resist a screenie :D Here's my Mark05 Score. I think the competition is a little tougher over here with the 64X2s ;)

3dmark05wp1.jpg

i use riva tuner or cool bits generally, processor is c2d e6300 @ 2.73ghz and all tests and gaming are 100% stable and have been for several months.

I think i got real lucky with this card. It's made by galaxy and came pre oc'd @ 550/800 gpu volts are still 1.2 but i am looking into doing a vmod as soon as i get enough confidence to do it properly and hope to push 720+ on 1.4vor maybe more on 1.5v.

I will definately look out for another galaxy card possibly an 8800gts unless the r600's turn out to be awesome and cheap,in which case i will be going crosssfire on my p5w dh deluxe :)

Back