• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sticky volunteers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
I'd like to have a couple stickies in here that would cover alot of the FAQs.

1. What to buy. Now I realize this is quite a project, especially with price drops, DDR or DDR2, overclock, etc... But I think it would help a ton to have this information in one place. Would like one or two people that can keep this updated as needed. I also realize a search can help, but I searched yesterday for info and found at least 8 threads in the past month, all with different contributors, all with different opinions. I think the stuff we can all agree on, could be organized into one thread.

2. FAH client setup. This would include windows & linux SMP. Perhaps we'd need two separate threads for that reason, would appreciate input there.

3. Members whose *** I will kick with the Core2Duo rigs I am building. This sticky will be the one that need the most maintenance. LOL

Okay, but 1 and 2 are serious.

Input? Volunteers?

Maybe we can put #1 in the BAR section.....as I suppose the requirements for a farm and a BAR rig would probably be pretty darn similar

Farms & BAR s would be different IMO.

Although, BARs can be made into Farms. :)

I'd do it, but I think we have some other outstanding members who
are well qualiified for the job.

WarriorII said:
Farms & BAR s would be different IMO.

Although, BARs can be made into Farms. :)

I'd do it, but I think we have some other outstanding members who
are well qualiified for the job.

I agree. I figured the two may be similar enough that whatever we'd want as a BAR rig would be close enough to serve two purposes.

Of course, I could always be wrong.....wait....who am I kidding. I'm always right! :)

Good idea - our welcome sticky is out of date with all the new clients.

Need:
- a guide to which client, pro's/cons etc.
- how to's for each new client - lee has done a bangup job on his begginers guides for win smp and linux/vmware smp so we mostly just need to link them off the sticky, and maybe make sure the initial post in each thread is up to date.
- how to oc for folding, Intel, AMD, old/new
- update to some of the tools - descriptions/how tos in the curent welcome sticky.
- a farming section
- a borging section
- a subteam section - I think Frank's thread is prolly still current?

The welcome sticky already has good threads linked on flags etc.

- perhaps some update on how to run as a service although this should be client specific.

link in the headless/diskless thread(s) - only relevant to standard client?

maybe even a section on 'ethical' folding? ... although we don't want to document how to cheat. 'explanation' (rationalization) of points system?

I better stop now or we will never get started.

If someone starts the work but someone else needs to take it over can ownership of the initial thread be transferred to make maintenance easier?

drshivas said:
What's a BAR rig?

I'm another individual that would also like to know what a "BAR' rig is :confused: (please). Unfortunately or fortunately (depends how you look at it) I know a lot about bars, you know the type of places that are sometimes filled with "bar flies", but I have a feeling a "BAR" rig and a place that has "bar flies" are two different things. :rolleyes:

Edit: i certainly didn't want anyone to take offense and think I was trying to say I'm the only one that knows about bars. (there are many, many people with that knowledge)

Last edited:
BAR = Build a Rig ... forum listed at the top of the folding team page

Our planned way to get more rigs out there folding for t32 with new/current hardware.

A variation on adopt a rig where somebody hosts a folding rig built out of donated parts - we have a few of them going and more on the way.

pscout said:
If someone starts the work but someone else needs to take it over can ownership of the initial thread be transferred to make maintenance easier?

I'm certain we can make that happen. 75% of the info is out and about I think it just needs organized and stuck.

I would try but I've been out the game and believe it or not I've never made a post that was stickyed....

cw823 said:
I'd like to have a couple stickies in here that would cover alot of the FAQs.

1. What to buy. Now I realize this is quite a project, especially with price drops, DDR or DDR2, overclock, etc... But I think it would help a ton to have this information in one place. Would like one or two people that can keep this updated as needed. I also realize a search can help, but I searched yesterday for info and found at least 8 threads in the past month, all with different contributors, all with different opinions. I think the stuff we can all agree on, could be organized into one thread.

What a coincidence! I was looking for just exactly that very information today myself! :D :D :D

jonspd said:
I would try but I've been out the game and believe it or not I've never made a post that was stickyed....

So you're volunteering, then?

NedClocker said:
What a coincidence! I was looking for just exactly that very information today myself! :D :D :D

/me pretends he doesn't have a couple e6600s heading his way and no linux SMP experience to go with it.

If I volunteer, who could help me with the information? I could put it together, but I don't know it yet. :D

Last edited:
I'd like to volunteer for the client setup sticky! :raisehand:

Also, I'd love to do whatever needs to be done with the subteam section!

I can make a "what to buy for the best ppd/$$" thread since I'm always looking at all that stuff if you need :shrug:
ILt could be kinda like the cyber deals section but for best folding results :p

sno.lcn said:
I can make a "what to buy for the best ppd/$$" thread since I'm always looking at all that stuff if you need :shrug:
ILt could be kinda like the cyber deals section but for best folding results :p
Rock On Fellow folding_monkey! :attn:

btw, noice oc on your core2 :beer:

the garynator said:
btw, noice oc on your core2 :beer:

Yeah, he's all but locked up the What to Buy Sticky. E4400 @ 3300....VERY nice.

Back