• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to properly shut down SMP client?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GigaHertzAddict

WinSMP client under win xp pro

everytime I shut down the client and the restart it, it messes up. it says

[18:24:33] - Previous termination of core was improper.
[18:24:33] - Going to use standard loops.

and then a 12min per frame WU becomes close to an hour per frame!

HELP.. SMP NOOB

WarriorII said:
Windows, haven't played with it yet.
I refuse to install Net2.

Ctrl+C ?
i think Ctrl-C would be a bad thing, but simply clicking the 'X' on the FAH console window has properly shut it down every time Ive done it. Only time I ever got the 'improper shutdown' is when I had problems with my OC and F@H locked up.

Turn off PC from the start menu

or

close the folding window first, then turn of PC from start menu

both gave me "imporper termination"

Ctrl-c in the FAH terminal window is the proper way to shut the client down. Add the -forceasm flag to your startup shortcut to avoid having the client run without optimizations on the next start.

ChasR said:
Ctrl-c in the FAH terminal window is the proper way to shut the client down. Add the -forceasm flag to your startup shortcut to avoid having the client run without optimizations on the next start.

Over half of the time I use CTRL-C with the WinSMP beta it still pukes up the WU when I go to restart. Nowadays I don't even touch the systems unless the WU is less then 10% completed so I won't feel too bad if it chokes, which I've noticed this bitchy client likes to do more often then not.

Do as ChasR says, I always include -forceasm on every client (smp or other) instance that I run.

If problems persist:
I am not sure what causes win smp it to not shutdown properly with ctrl-c.
But it could be the smpd or mpiexec?

Before restarting, check task mgr - you should see 1 instance of smpd

and NO instances of mpiexec or FahCore's runnning.

If you do see mpiexec and FahCore's, kill the mpiexec task and it will terminate any FahCores.

If this happens again, i would rerun the install.bat.

Another bug i can think of that could be related to improper shutdown is if your lan is diconnected/disabled while the client is running ... this nromally causes the cleint to hang and stopping it with ctrl-c and restarting should work fine. This bug does not match your symptoms.

Last edited:
Then they've got some bugs in their WindowsSMP client.

Vijay says Ctrl-c is always one right way to shut down a FAH client. Closing the window is definitely NOT right, but more often than not, it will work OK, anyway. (I've lost work with it though on standard uniprocessor WU's, doing that).

I hope they get the bugs out of the WinSMP client before too long. I'm happy with the way the Linux SMP client has advanced.

Adak

Back