• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading to Core 2 Duo Help???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTFouts

Upgrading to Core 2 Duo so I have to upgrade 3 things, CPU, MB, MEMORY. Whenever I make a choice I always end up with components that I can not manipulate properly for O/C’ing. So I am asking for help from that masters, serious help. I am listing my ideas and want you guys to correct me so I end up with the right stuff and be able to manipulate it for decent O/C’ing, not massive O/C’ing, well, maybe close to massive. I have the setup for this (see sig of my current rig). Just want to get the correct parts the first time is all, so please feel free to express your seasoned opinions, please.

Motherboard – ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe

Read a lot on here where most are very pleased with this MB. Also read where some are having problems. I am an avid ASUS fan but feel the bios is not all that O/C friendly when it comes to serious manipulation. Even tho I have the setup for serious O/C’ing I don’t really do it for fear of frying things plus I never can get it to work right, but I am going to now so I want a motherboard that will handle it properly. I read a review on TechSpot about this MB and they had the CPU I want (see below) up to 3.66 with DDR2-1100 memory. Has impressive benchmarks and is my goal. Here is the link to that article - http://www.techspot.com/review/12-asus-p5wdh-deluxe/. Doesn’t have to be ASUS, I’ve just always used them as they are pretty reliable IMHO.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe Processor 2.67GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 4MB Cache

This seems to be the best Intel Duo chip out there short of the Extreme chips which are out of the question. I don’t want to spend 1000 for a CPU, I think that is extreme. Not too awful happy of dropping down a whole Ghz in base speed but can’t find any Duo cores that are faster than 2.66. TechSpot O/C’d this to 3.66 stable so it should do it, right? With O/C’ing and FSB and proper memory I feel it should scream compared to what I have now. Is that true?

Memory – Corsair Dominator Series TWIN2X2048-8500C5D 2GB Kit DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 OR
OCZ OCZ2G11002GK 2GB Kit DDR2 PC2-8800 Gold Dual Channel Memory

This is where I get confused and always get the wrong stuff. It’s too expensive to just buy a different one so this one is critical for a 1 time buy. I am going with 4 Gigs I guess, should be plenty. This is the bottom of the line 2 GB 1066 Corsair (on Zipzoomfly). They have others that are the same numbers with the exception of C5, C5D or C5DF. Can someone clarify this for me because they are a bit more expensive and don’t wish to spend that if it is unnecessary. I am a Corsair fan but am willing to get OCZ or whatever else if you guys think they OC better and work better. I know this MB is rated for DDR2 800 so is going 1066 on the memory even the right thing to think or is it better to use the PC2-6400 DDR2 800? And is there better memory than the Corsair series for what I wish to do? This MB has a FSB of 1066 so can you not use 1066 memory fully or am I just not understanding it properly?
The OCZ is the DDR2-1100 which does match the stats from TechSpot’s O/C. I know everyone raves about OCZ, maybe I need to go this route. Again, DDR2-1100 with a DDR2-800 MB, I just don’t know.

I am upgrading a lot more than just what I have questions for here. I am changing my TDX block to a Swiftech Apogee GTX. I have the UBER edition 512MB ATI Crossfire cards that are going in with DD Tyee waterblocks. I have the TDX Northbridge block that I used to use but took it off long time ago. I see where everyone is removing there N/B sink and reapplying it with AS5 for a better heat transfer. I could always stick the waterblock on instead. I think my power supply is plenty big enough. I only have 2 SATA hard drives that I use in IDE mode cause I am not a raid fan and my DVD drive is SATA also. I shouldn’t have a problem with these connecting to the new motherboard. Can’t really think of anything else. Let me have it guys….set me straight so I only buy this stuff 1 time and can O/C like you pro’s. I have the setup for it so it's time I start using it for what I built it for.

GTFouts

i would recomend the e6600 or the e6420 then the 6700 u wont be able to see a big diffirence in OCIng

Why the 6600 over the 6700 other than it being $100 cheaper. Is there something that it does better? This is why I am asking all this, so I can find out all these little secrets and make the best possible purchase.

I know I really wouldn't pay $100 for 200MHz so I'm going to recommend the 6600 as well. I also prefer OCZ over Corsair, but since you will be OCing the system I'd go with the Dominator for the "fins" it has to help keep heat down.

The max OC ability of the E6600 and E6700 are identical from everything I read. (I just happen to get a good deal from an Intel Engineer on mine, so I'm quite happy with my E6700 for 270bucks.) So if it's OCing on your mind, stick with the E6600. Under the right conditions you should get 3.67ghz "safely".

I use Gskill DDR2 800 memory... cause it's cheap. It reputedly overclocks well. (Just ask the company ;) But I can't say I've tested it that much. 2 gig sticks are under 100bucks at the egg now.

Edit: I mean 2X1gig sticks...

Back