• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu burn in...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P.With

Registered
Hey.
Do I have to burn in my CPU before oc it? I just bought it and put it in yesterday.
I tryde running it at 250x12=3000 4x250=1000 Vcore 1.425
My ram are running 200 Dual no oc. 166/250
but it doesn`t seams to be stabil, it wouldn´t even boot at 1,4 or stok Volt.

Yeah system temp is done by a sensor on the board but not close to the CPU normally.. Also youw ill probably have to kick the volts up a bit.

if it wasnt stable on stock volts(should never be the case) maybe you should try reseating your heatsink, or it could be a different component causing the instability since its not stable at stock volts or 1.4v

It stabel running at normal.. It´s when oc 250x12= 3000 4x250=1000.
It boot´s fine on Vcore 1,425 but it´s not stabel.
My cuesion is: AM I SUPPURSE TO RUN IT NORMAL (TO BURNE IT IN) FOR A WHILE BEFORE I OC IT?

http://peecee.dk/?id=42776

The theories and opinions on that question vary a lot. Many people believe burning in a CPU for a couple of weeks helps, many others believe it's a waste of time. As far as I know there is no solid evidence that supports the burn-in theory ...

Ok thanks, I been running ORTHOS for 3 hours and it seames fine. So I´m going to oc it later to day I think, want to hit the 3Ghz :)
Tempes are:
Full load
Cpu : 47
MB: 40
System (thing it is the psu) : 74 a bit high.

I usually let my cpu run for 2 - 3 days after putting new AS on before I start my OCing procedure. I dont consider this really a burn in time for the CPU, rather a cure time for the thermal grease.

[tinfoil]
I don't believe it does any good but there may be something about new CPUs acting up if overclocked cold in the socket. I've noticed that when I socket a new one, it chokes on OCing for the first day or two. After a few days it gets better. I've also seen CPUs that after running for weeks can be bumped up and run stable where they would not before.
My best theory is that electronics do age which effects the way they perform. One thing is that not only do you have dielectrics, mostly in capacitors, on the mobo, the CPU has them as well as RAM cells being the major dielectric component. These chemicals are subject to voltage, temperature and presssure fluctuations, may age faster then solid minerals and metals in the die. These factors will account for the change that happens over a few days of running. Like charging batteries in a cell phone they get better after a few cycles, the caps in our rigs may need a few days of working to reach full performance.

Also consider that the BIOS may tweak settings between reboots and TIM on the Heatsink will set in after 3 days to a week of cycling the system off and on with a cool down period between power off and on again.

Does running under volt and oced to highest stable for a few days then "going for it" really improve max OC?
Does overvolting and then dropping back help in future OC potential.
Or is this just leftover from auto engineering where a new engine breaks in after the first few thousand miles before it reaches peak performance (was this really true) Check snopes.com. Ultimately after 100,000 miles it turns into a junker!

Search for the thread on Burn in, it was posted a while back. The done it and felt good about it but I doubt that it helped but did I do it right ??? :eek:

I never burn in any of my chips... always had good results with my overclocks too. This last system I just dropped it in and started ocing straight out of the box.

Back