• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI Crunchers: Please read

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
As you know the SETI project is offline until at least Monday or Tuesday, so no new work units are available for you to crunch.

In our last team race several members of the folding team converted their production over to SETI to help us pump out some impressive numbers.

The Folders are now having a race, and it is appropriate and fair for us to join in their cause and participate in their race.

Sno.Lcn is the team leader for OCF, and will be using this thread to post instructions for those of us who are folding noobs, and to keep track of SETI members who are helping with the race.

Race SETI participants:
Eaglescouter
Freakdiablo
Quietice
Vento1
Texasfit
Muddocktor
Hamm3r
Sazbi
Bwernicke

Last edited:
Folding@home has several different clients, including the traditional single-cpu, the smp client for 2 or more cpu cores, and even a gpu client for the radeon x1x00 cards. The smp version seems to be the most productive right now, and runs on windows, linux, and os x.

The ocforums folding intro is located here and a guide for gettting it set up is here (although several more guides have been written as well). Those setup instructions should basically be the same for any of the f@h versions.

If running the smp version, there are additional instructions in the folding@home directory it creates when you install it from the .exe, such as installing .net 2.0 and then running the install.bat in the same folder.

If running linux smp version, it must be 64 bit linux. The instructions are here. I didn't see this in that thread but if the 32 bit libraries are not already installed in your version of linux, you may need to open terminal and type (iirc) "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs"

For this competition the username is T32monkeys (it is case sensitive) and team number is 32.

If there are any questions post them here or in the folding section, either way I'll make sure they get answered as quickly as possible :D

You guys are awesome! :clap:

*Edit: Almost forgot, the race thread is here.

Last edited:
If you have dual cores or quads, best production is to run one of the smp clients:
- win smp (beta) client is easiest if you are running windoze
- linux 64 bit beta smp is probably best production
- linux smp client under vmware under windoze - more complex, production similar or a bit less than the other smp clients. Needs a VT capable c2d, c2q or amd supporting the segmentation. Not recommended for intel 900D's. An easy way to dip your toes in the linux pond :) A good begiiners guide that got many ocf folders running linux quickly for the first time.

- standard client - wedo's 1-click in the welcome sticky easiest way to set it up, and runs invisibile as a service. If you have a dual core pick the dually/ht 2 instance option (better to go smp tho with a dual core or quad). There is a 4 instance option if you must run your quad this way instead of smp.

GPU client (windows only) - if you have an ati x19xx video card. May be better production than standard client on single core rigs. Can be run with a standard client on dual core rigs, or even on fast HT rigs. Also very good on older agp rigs.

Graphical client either for standard single core or gpu (windows only)... they work, but are not recommended. Will only work easily if they are the only client. Windows Open g/l conflicts with other apps are common.

Mac osx, linux standard clients ... I can't comment on them since i have not experience with them but others on the team can help.

See the guides in the folding team forum for setup info.

And feel free to post to sno's thread over there with any questions, start your own thread there, or PM us.

:) :)

Thats why my laptop can't get any units to crunch. Man I was getting unhappy with them SETI peeps. I get an email to come back and crunch some units and then can't get'em. Man they run out quick:-/ But F@H can keep your proc busy in the mean time.

Last edited:
Ok one of my rigs just ran out so i am now folding on this rig. Will the folding client make use of hyperthreading this is installed on a pentium 650.

Vento1 said:
Ok one of my rigs just ran out so i am now folding on this rig. Will the folding client make use of hyperthreading this is installed on a pentium 650.
2 standard clients will make full use of your 650 but one will not. See pscouts post above about wedo's 1click or if you want to run the console client yourself then make you change cpu id to 2 instead of 1 in advanced options.

Edit: Here is a link to a detailed post about installation too.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=458385

Last edited:
If you all have any questions about setting up a client manually or are wanting to set up the Windows SMP client just speak up. I am a long time folder and I just successfully set the Win SMP client up yesterday evening on my new laptop. It's already at 56% on it's first wu, which happens to be worth 1593 points.

Got it set up on my Laptop Pentium M 1.5Ghz System.
Not setting any speed records but should complete this one in a little under 3 days.
[01:27:39] Completed 0 out of 4000000 steps (0)
[02:10:21] Completed 40000 out of 4000000 steps (1)
[02:51:52] Completed 80000 out of 4000000 steps (2)

Vento1 said:
Thanks belorsch now running two instances of fah.
Your welcome. Glad I could help:) Now I just need to remember to check back here to see when SETI is back up. Do SETI wu's have a set expiration time?

many many tks for the help from the SETI Team!!! :beer: :beer:

p.s. I've been thinking to "finish up" my first million point here lately.... well, may be after this race.....:rolleyes:

Back