• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 500gb partition is only 1gb under windows xp sp2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwraith94

Hey all,

We are in the middle of a swing migration here at work:

http://www.sbsmigration.com/migration-projects.php#what-is-a-swing-migration

In the interest of brevity I am just going to delve into the problem.

I deicded to load Windows XP on our new Dell Poweredge server, in order to be able to transfer (during the day) over 100gb of user data, from the old domain controller. The new server is also the New Domain Controller, and both DC's are running Win 2k3 sbs sp2. So that xp, and sbs 2k3 are being dual booted off the same box.

This server uses a Dell Perc 5/i raid card, and sbs runs perfectly (for sbs).

This server has 2x 80gb sata disks (in a mirror array for drive C)
4x 500 gb sata disks (in a raid 5 array for 3 other partitions)
Partition #1 is 75gb for Exchange 2k3 (D: drive)
Partition #2 is 500gb for misc user data (and the XP install) (F: drive)
Partition #3 is empty space, waiting to be allocated.

Right now the 2nd array is hosting the XP install, as well as a 500gb partition, but under the properties for F: it says the whole drive is 1 gb, and that there are 200megs free...This drive also has a 2gb pagefile.sys that is sitting on it.

The Exchange partition (D:) is appearing as 75gb, no problems.

Additionally under Diskmgmt.msc all drives appear as they should, with the amount of free space that they should.

The insane issue is that we need to be able to copy the 100gb of data to the F: partition, and XP is being retarded. I cannot find any M$ articles for this, so TIA Help!!!

Redwraith94

Is it telling you that you are out of space when you try and move more than 200megs of data to it?

See if you can do a "chkdsk /r" to see if it solves the problem.

did you setup disk quotas on the disk? maybe the quota is set for 1gb.

that would explain the disk showing fine in diskmanagement and the size of the windows install.

thideras, yeah it was disallowing more than 200 megs to be copied to it.

madman, thanks! It was quota management, although I never enabled it myself. It works fine now.

Back