• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good full system setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oneeyedziggy

Registered
potential rig:
cpu: e6700
video: 2x evga 8800gtx
hdd: 2x raptor 10k 150gb
mobo: eVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1
ram: 4 sticks unknown
pump: mcp655(possibly 2)
DVD-rw/CD+-RW: unknown(LG or Lite-On)
zalman zm-mfc2 temp sensor/fan controller(what fans?)
at least 700w psu

cooling
dd5/mcp655 pump
d-tek fuzion cpu block
2x d-tek fuzions or swiftech mcw60s
northbridge cooler?

all moderately clocked

i want to do a bong cooler/resivoir placed higher than the processor, feed down into the processor, down to the northbridge, down to vid1, down to vid2, down to the pump. so it's gravity assisted all the way down to the pump, which could pump back up to the top of the bong.

Questions:
1)is bong cooling really worth it?

2) Is cooling the northbridge(beyond the heatpipe on the nf68 mobo) really going to help? maybe just a fan on the heatsink?

3) is a full cover block going to make a big difference? because with ramsinks, the ram won't get too hot, and the mosfets are designed to handle heat. right?

4)would putting the pump at the end of the loop be any worse than putting it at the beginning? OR...

5)...would i need one pump from the resivoir to the bong, and another from the bong to the cpu?

Yes. Systems with a bong generally don't have a rad.

oneeyedziggy said:
1)is bong cooling really worth it?
No one can decide that but you. I don't run one because it's too humid here in the summer already, and bongs require a lot more maintenance.

2) Is cooling the northbridge(beyond the heatpipe on the nf68 mobo) really going to help? maybe just a fan on the heatsink?
I have no experience with your board but I doubt the NB really needs watercooling.

3) is a full cover block going to make a big difference? because with ramsinks, the ram won't get too hot, and the mosfets are designed to handle heat. right?
Right. If you have ramsinks and decent air flow, you don't really need to WC the ram. It's possible it might get you one more notch of OC, but it's probably not worth the expense or the restriction. Wouldn't be to me, anyway.

4)would putting the pump at the end of the loop be any worse than putting it at the beginning? OR...

5)...would i need one pump from the resivoir to the bong, and another from the bong to the cpu?
In an open system, centrifugal pumps run better with the restriction on the outlet side. Because you're going to push your coolant beyond the flow rate gravity would provide, your "gravity assist" would result in a net restriction on the inlet. Hence, if I were going to build a bong cooler, I'd put the pump at the lowest point and let it push the water up through the blocks to the bong. If I were going to run two pumps in series, I'd put them both at the bottom because the extra water pressure would help prevent cavitation. Long-time bongers may have better ideas. :)

If you're concerned about not having enough head, give the mcp355 a good look before you order two D5's.

Last edited:
I'd recommend a bong if you want to save money, otherwise buy yourself a nice triple 120mm radiator. I built a bong a few years ago and it required a lot of filling, but that was because I was a poor college student and couldn't afford the radiator I wanted.

It actually turned into a disaster. Later I added a peltier, and one hot summer day the tubing at the top of the bong happened to be in the sun; the tubing bent leaving virtually no water flow. By the time I got out of class the tubes were hot to the touch, and condensation from the peltier had dripped onto my graphics card!

Another time it leaked and our dorm room floor was soaked! The smell of water wetter was just awful when you walked in.

well money isn't an issue for once, i'm going all out(within reason) i plan on staying under 4000 for the box(which i'm fabricating out of aluminum angle iron and lexan), plus whatever monitor i want.

would it add a lot of resistance to put a 1x120 black ice rad between each of the components?
i'm trying to go 1/2 inch btw (and i want to use the clear high pressure tubing from the hardware store that has 2 layers with a loose white fiber wrap in between in a diamond pattern. )

does anyone make a 1/2 inch fitting radiator?

Last edited:
Back