• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C2D Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Well guys I'm jumping ship to Inhell. Can't put up with my current problems any longer and it'd be cheaper to build new than to fix what I got. Heres what I have in mind:

Mobo- Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi/AP
RAM- Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-8000 1000mhz
CPU- E6320 (for now will get a Q6600 here in a month or so)
PSU- Seasonic S12 600W

I'm hoping to hit around 3.2-3.4. I'm going to be using my existing loop with this setup. The loop consists of a Apogee block, a Black Ice Extreme Radiator (120mm x 1), and a MCP650 pump. Is this loop going to be enough to keep this cpu cool? I might get a 120mm x 2 radiator if need be. What do ya think guys?

-Davee

that loop should do fine, I'd consider checking out the p5k deluxe or p5k board over the p5b del though, only other thing I'd consider is if it's only a stopgap chip, is possibly an e2140 as they're so cheap, otherwise looks good

Edit:Let me rephrase that, that loop should do fine for a dual core, but the quad is gonna be way to hot for that rad if you plan on overclocking, I'd go with a 2x120 rad, any flavor should work

I am no expert...especially for h2o...but if you read around I think you will find that C2D's are fairly easy to keep cool, and your water loop is most likely sufficient.

When you get a q6600 it becomes a different story. The quads apparantly generate alot more wattage nd therefore alot more heat. Most people have found that water cooling is not enough to get high OCs on a quad. And apparantly the brand name phase units can't handle it either.

The best choice for OCing a quad for now is custom made phase which is tuned for quad core load/wattage, or add a chiller to your loop.

well the only reason I'm getting the P5B is because I can get it, the chip and ram for $300 :D So yea, for that price, you can't beat it. Whats the big difference between the p5b and p5k?

p5k is the p35 chipset, and will support future chips(penryn) also alot of the bugs of the p5b boards were fixed in the p5k, but either one is a good board, don't get me wrong

Back