• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Manhunt 2 Wii and PS2 banned in Britain (and Ireland)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/06/19/manhunt-2-banned-in-britain/

http://www.destructoid.com/manhunt-2-banned-in-the-uk-updated-for-irish-gamers--33304.phtml

David Cooke:
"Rejecting a work is a very serious action and one which we do not take lightly. Where possible we try to consider cuts or, in the case of games, modifications which remove the material which contravenes the Board's published Guidelines. In the case of Manhunt 2 this has not been possible. Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

With a little luck, TakeTwo will appeal and actually get a rating for the game. As it stands right now, British gamers are SOL regarding the Manhunt franchise. I'm sure Miami Jack is jumping for joy right now.

wow...sometimes it surprises me how non-progressive the world can be...usually it's the US that makes me say that. I mean yeah it's bloody and violent so give it a mature rating and let the consumer decide if they want to play it or not, this pushing of YOUR morals on everyone is so tiring.

blueswitch said:
wow...sometimes it surprises me how non-progressive the world can be...usually it's the US that makes me say that. I mean yeah it's bloody and violent so give it a mature rating and let the consumer decide if they want to play it or not, this pushing of YOUR morals on everyone is so tiring.

It's very easy to have this opinion living in America, as we have access to many things that other individuals do not.

Personally, I believe that its up to parents, not the government, to control content. However, I understand that there are many cultures that possess a different line of thought. People in Asian countries, for example, tend to be much more protective about what content does and does not enter their shores.

I know very little about UK culture, so perhaps they could shed some light on this.

deception``

well yeah if this was China I wouldn't even be the least surprised but since it's the UK... Europe tends to be more liberal with this kind of stuff than the US.

deception`` said:
It's very easy to have this opinion living in America, as we have access to many things that other individuals do not.

Personally, I believe that its up to parents, not the government, to control content. However, I understand that there are many cultures that possess a different line of thought. People in Asian countries, for example, tend to be much more protective about what content does and does not enter their shores.

I know very little about UK culture, so perhaps they could shed some light on this.

deception``

Non-progressive? Maybe you missed that thread about how Americans have ABSOLUTELY no problem with extreme violence, but when it comes to nudity they lose their sh**.

Not that I'm the hugest fan of "The Commonwealth" or anything... but if I ever found a country that didn't disappoint me on some level or another, then I probably wouldn't move so much. (Btw, I'm referring to the guy you were quoting, not you.)

blueswitch said:
well yeah if this was China I wouldn't even be the least surprised but since it's the UK... Europe tends to be more liberal with this kind of stuff than the US.

Actually, Europe traditionally has tighter controls on media than the United States. With a quick search you will find quite a few films and games that are have been banned or heavily censored overseas.

deception``

rainless said:
Non-progressive? Maybe you missed that thread about how Americans have ABSOLUTELY no problem with extreme violence, but when it comes to nudity they lose their sh**.

Not that I'm the hugest fan of "The Commonwealth" or anything... but if I ever found a country that didn't disappoint me on some level or another, then I probably wouldn't move so much. (Btw, I'm referring to the guy you were quoting, not you.)

I understood the nature of your post. It's really a cultural thing. There are many countries/cultures that are less-hesitant when it comes to sexual content, yet refuse to create media with the same level of violence that you'll find here.

deception``

For practicality sake, it makes much more sense to censor extreme violence than it does nudity. One of the few times in a while I'm proud to be an American. I say **** it, let it all out :beer: ....
(I hope I don't get censored for this post)...

Rainless I saw the post about nudity it was in regards to Oblivion. I'll take your word about countries disappointing you only lived in the states myself. I wonder often if Canada is a better place to live these days though.

To be coined "the land of the Free" the US government, the FCC and the ESRB are sure a bunch of tightasses. Blood, guts and scenes of graphic torture in movies and games are cuddly and lovable but if there are some boobies or weenies then THOU SHALT BE BANNED IN THE USA (and in the UK I guess :;) )

blueswitch said:
Rainless I saw the post about nudity it was in regards to Oblivion. I'll take your word about countries disappointing you only lived in the states myself. I wonder often if Canada is a better place to live these days though.

I'm sure Canada would disappoint you too (at least the Canadian Dollar would :) ). Remember: It's part of The Commonwealth.

Oh well. I'll try Spain, Portugal, and then Brazil. If that doesn't work I'll jump off a cliff in Japan.

Dont get me wrong, I have no issue with violent video games at all, but I tend to agree with what the BBFC have said over here - the game is simply to violent with little or no justification for the gore - its just doing it to shock - it has no 'artistic merit' nor does it add any expereince to the game that couldnt be achieved with a lower level of violence. The game makers KNOW that rating or not some copies of the game will end up in the hands of children, so why should the uk take the risk?

I personally would really like it if this ban actually makes game makers stop and think about what is really needed in a title, making a quality game and not just a crappy game with extreme violence. We've had to many games lately that are all violence and no gameplay.

The UK had no issues with FEAR's slow mo death sequences, or in its day no problems arose from Soldier of Fortune 2's 'realistic' bodies that could be torn apart....
When it comes to sexual content the uk has no problems with it, so long as it isnt 'perverted or violent beyond reason'.
I find america's casual attitude to violence somewhat worrying, but then the usa does have among the highest levels of violent crime in the world....so maybe its time they had a think.
Canada has the right idea generally ;)

As of late here in the UK young children of 14 & above have been stabbed to death in the last 4 months there's been about over 10 killings. I am not saying that it's cos games are the cause there's no proof on that but last week I read how a 16 year old who was addicted to video games.

Went out with a knife and stabbed a 32yr old to death in the kneck and he was crazy I mean crazy wanted to kill everyone in court in different ways.

Vrykyl said:
I find america's casual attitude to violence somewhat worrying, but then the usa does have among the highest levels of violent crime in the world....so maybe its time they had a think.

PM received!

deception``

Last edited:
PM sent with evidence.

Back on topic - the ruling is being appealed in the uk - the last video game to be banned had the ruling overturned...the same will probably happen again.

well I would agree that even though I never played the first one it sounds like it's just a gore game...and true Rockstar has kind of come to be known as the "shock" games company...and thats their thing....it would probably be a bigger deal if it was over a game worth getting upset over like Crysis....but still you have to be careful about where does it end......I mean doesn't Germany now have laws against all in game violence?

blueswitch said:
well I would agree that even though I never played the first one it sounds like it's just a gore game...and true Rockstar has kind of come to be known as the "shock" games company...and thats their thing....it would probably be a bigger deal if it was over a game worth getting upset over like Crysis....but still you have to be careful about where does it end......I mean doesn't Germany now have laws against all in game violence?

Hard to say it's just a 'gore' game if you have no experience with Manhunt. I played through the first game and I can honestly say that I have seen tons of movies more disturbing than this.

deception``

Back