• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woody! 2nd Try...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukeman

I tried a wood case last fall but wasn't happy with the way it was coming together so I abandoned it. On Father's Day I started a new one that would be bigger and a little easier to build. Still had some issues but I'm happy with it so far.

Laying out the main parts.
Woody2001.jpg

Fitting a motherboard.
Woody2003.jpg

Brass wood nuts for setting the stand-offs.
Woody2005.jpg
Woody2006.jpg

Laying out the back panel.
Woody2013.jpg

More pics...

Back panel cut and ready.
Woody2014.jpg

Starting assembly.
Woody2020.jpg

From the back.
Woody2022.jpg

Front.
Woody2021.jpg

Added a stabilizing bar and T-Nuts for securing the side door (these will end up being replaced with brass wood nuts because they don't hold very well). Notice the bottom is cut so cool air will enter the PSU from underneath and go right out of the case. The case will sit on feed so the air can flow in.
Woody2004.jpg

Even more pics...

You make a better door than...well actually you are both.
Woody20077.jpg

Front with start of a drive cage.
Woody2008.jpg

Home made fan grill, courtesy of a cheap pencil holder from Wal-Mart.
Woody2016.jpg

After a few cuts with some tin snips.
Woody2019.jpg

Looks good so far. Any functional reason for the slanted side, or purely for aesthetics?

Cant wait to see how it turns out.

BTW, is that a pentium 3? What hardware will be going in it?

it looks good and i like the originality of the slanted side:)
and wally world stuff can come in handy

also... what hardware will go in there as i dont think a p3 will work that well...

The side is slanted for asthetics. The PIII is just there for a pattern for the ATX motherboard. I'll be using the hardware from my sig until next year when I can upgrade.

I'm gonna try to finish the drive cage and start laying out the front of the case tonight. I'll post more pics over the next few days.

More Pics...

I secured the top plate of the drive cage then realized it would need a cut-out to allow for ATX motherboards (little oversite on the design). Then I cut the drive and fan holes in the front plate and secured the front.
Woody23003.jpg

Still need to add the power switch and power/drive light combo.
Woody23004.jpg

Looks good! I like the unique shape. What sort of finish are you planning for the surface?

JDXNC said:
Looks good! I like the unique shape. What sort of finish are you planning for the surface?

Thanks. I'm planning a dark cherry stain with a satin polyurethane finish. I would like to do the wiring in chrome or silver.

Staining Begins

I've filled and sanded many nail and accidental holes :rolleyes: using Plastic Wood from Dap. I cut feet for the case using a 1 1/4" hole saw and used hole cutouts from 3/4" plywood. After staining I will add felt pads to the feet. This will provide plenty of clearance for the airflow from the bottom into the PSU.
Dscf1533.jpg

Staining the inside. The kids helped with this.
Dscf1534.jpg

Staining the outside. The top and side have only one coat. The side is splotchy. I will blend this side when I put on the second coat. I have advice for using water based stain. 1) Use the pre-stain conditioner to help keep the color uniform. 2) Don't let it dry before you can wipe all of the excess off. Drying causes the worst splotchyness. 3) Have lots of clean rags ready to wipe off the excess.
Dscf1543.jpg

Finished and More Pics

Well its done...for now. I stained and finished the rest of the box. Added felt feet to the wooden ones. Filed the opening for the flash reader because it just didn't want to fit where the floppy had been and added the power button with a wooden top.
Stained and ready to start being a PC.
Woody23014.jpg

Side view.
Woody23015.jpg

Front panel wiring
Woody23021.jpg

Drives installed
Woody23023.jpg

Back